Horizontal Surgery Scar on Stomach Possible to Remove? Or possible to make it less noticeable? (photo)

Hi, I am 14 (almost 15) years old. At birth I had Meconium ileus and have a scar right above my belly button going about 5-inches across my stomach. I also have a scar right above that, that is about 1-inch long from a feeding tube. My mom and I have been discussing taking me to a plastic surgeon for a while now. I was just wondering if it is possible to make the scar less noticeable or possible to get rid of it?

Linear Surgical Scars Respond Well To Subcision, Fractional Microneedle Therapy & Stimulatory Fillers

+1

Subcision can be effective for permanently elevating depressed scars of various types, including depressed linear surgical and C-section scars. Subcision is a procedure in which a sterilized needle is inserted, following the administration of local anesthesia, directly beneath a depressed scar (regardless of whether from acne, infection, trauma, or surgery) and used to break up the thick bands of fibrous scar tissue that bind down the surface and create the depression.

Breaking up the abnormal bands of thickened, scar collagen accomplishes two things. First, it allows the surface of the scar to float to the surface. In addition, the tissue fluid that immediately fills the space following treatment contains growth factors and other wound healing substances that promote neocollagenesis, native collagen production, that allows for improvement and elevation of the scars. Between two to four treatments, spaced at six week intervals, are generally required to promote sufficient new collagen to achieve a satisfactory improvement. Since, the collagen produced is one's own, the results of subcision are typically permanent.

Fractional microneedle therapy aka medical microneedling works by creating numerous areas of controlled microwounding that set off in turn a cascade of events that result in new, native collagen synthesis, which translates into healthier, thicker skin that improves the appearance of the underlying scars. It is particularly useful for improving the surface tone and texture of skin to enhance blending with the surrounding normal skin.

Finally, the injection of a stimulatory filler(s), such as Radiesse or Radiesse combined with Perlane L (in my Upper East Side Manhattan practice.) or Radiesse combined with Restylane SQ (my Israel office) can not only lead to immediate lifting of the scar and smoothing of its surface, but can further enhance new native collagen synthesis (neocollagenesis) about two months afterward.

Of course, consultation with a board certified aesthetic physician who is skilled and experienced in all these modalities and who can create a treatment plan for all skin problems present is the best way to ensure that all your needs will be addressed properly and most cost effectively.

Web reference: http://YoungerLookingWithoutSurgery.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.