I am hoping to get rhinoplasty in another city. Is there a way to go about recovery without people seeing the splint?

What do people usually do for aftercare? I am very discrete and do not want people knowing I got rhinoplasty, I don't even want strangers to see the cast on my nose. How do I go about my business post-operation?

Need For Splint After Rhinoplasty

+1

You really have two choices after your rhinoplasty; don't wear tapes and a splint for a week and endure tremendous swelling that may or may not fully go away or wear the tapes and splint for a week and stay in seclusion. Because of the better long-term results, all patients are going to opt for the rhinoplasty dressing. Be aware that even when it comes off, there will be some signs of swelling and it will still take a few weeks to get to the point of looking 'non-surgical'.

Short Answer is No

+1

The splint and facial swelling and bruising are pretty obvious the first seven days after rhinoplasty. I have seen patients where a cap and hold their face down to cover their faces, but most likely you need to spend most of your time at home or your hotel room.

Armen Vartany, MD

Rhinoplasty Aftercare

+1

The cast will need to stay on the nose for 5-6 days, while the visible swelling and bruising will last 7-10 days. Please see the link below to "Patient's Complete Guide to a Rhinoplasty" and our photo gallery link and aftercare facilities available

Rhinoplasty and recovery in after care facility.

+1

Rhinoplasty and recovery in after care facility is something that we have done for 35 years. Patients come from all over the world to Beverly Hills so this is a common practice for us. We have you remain here for 5 to 6 days until the splint is removed and then you may return home. Discussion of your procedure can be done via Skype.

Privacy and Rhinoplasty

+1

You mentioned having the surgery in a different city. Your surgeon will need to see you for post op visits. I suggest you do not return home until he removes the splint.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Rhinoplasty and privacy

+1

Dear 44madman,

I do a lot of rhinoplasty surgery patients from out of state and typically I do the majority of the consulting phase via skype and telephone. Upon scheduling we then do the preoperative necessities via the mail and then see the patient the day before their scheduled surgery in the office for the final preoperative preparations. Many patients will stay in our aftercare facility overnight for 24 hours since you need to have someone with you for the first period after surgery or a nurse will go to the hotel with you. We make arrangements for our celebrity clientele and those patients who are very private to stay in a hotel nearby. Security will block the elevator for the patients to return to their room after aftercare or surgery without being seen using an underground garage. The hotel is also close to our office which in many cases I just go to the hotel to see my patients until splint removal. In my practice there is no way of getting around the splint however it is removed on the 6th to 7th day and you should be able to return to society after that with minimal bruising or swelling if any at all. We are very successful in providing excellence in care and complete privacy to those who desire anonymity. See youtube video link below for typical splint removal. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

+1

Sometimes a splint may not be used. If the doctor uses a splint, there is not a great way to camouflage it.

Recovery after Rhinoplasty

+1

The splint is important to use after rhinoplasty. If you do not want anybody to see you I would recommend that you go into hiding mode for 10 days. I do not think that there is a way around this given your private nature.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon