Age 18 - Is There Any Hope for Me?

I'm 18 and I've had this problem since my boobs started growing in 5th or 6th grade. Very little has changed since then, other than the areolas are much more puffy and ive sprouted a little more breast tissue. I want to get them fixed. Can i do this without implants? and if so, about how much would this cost?

Snoopy Nose, Tubular Breast or Tuberous Breasts

+4

Dear Bambi369 in Castro Valley, CA:

You have tuberous breasts with a small amount of breast tissue, Unfortunately, most your breast tissue is "herniating" into your areolae (the pigmented skin around the nipple). It can be corrected without an implant, and the result will be fairly flat. Since tubular breast are often associated with small breast, it is common to use breast implants to increase the bust size at the time of surgery. Fat grafting to the breast was abandoned, with good reason, in the past. More work is being done currently in this area, but it still should be approached as experimental  procedure that is best performed under appropriate research protocol.

Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts

+2

You have a severe case of tuberous breasts as you already most likely know. The surgery will require careful reduction of the tissue herniated into the nipple complex and scoring of the base of this tissue to open it up. You could put in breast implants at the same operation. If you want fat grafting instead of implants you cannot do the grafting at the same time as the tuberous breast surgery because that will diminish the ability of the grafted fat to survive. Since you will need more than one grafting session to achieve a desireable result I think it will end up costing you much more for all those procedures than a single tuberous breast correction and breast implants. Given the severity of your current condition there is no guarantee that one operation is all you need though it should be in good surgical hands.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Good news, there is definitely hope

+2

thanks for posting your photos, I know it takes a lot of courage just to ask for help.  you have a severe case of tuberous breasts or constriction. implants with or without expansion has been the standard along with "parenchymal scoring".  recently, vacuum expansion (BRAVA, look it up on the net) with fat grafting has shown promise for augmentation if you want to try to avoid implants.  speak to a board certified plastic surgeon and start considering options. remember there is no rush. take your time and make a decision you feel comfortable with. good luck, it may be a bit of a bumpy road but I know it can be well worth it.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

There is certainly hope for tuberous breast deformity

+2

Your photos show fairly severe tuberous breasts.  The surgical goals include reducing the size and prominence of your areolae, and getting some volume to provide breast shape.  This is typically done with implants, and plastic surgeons will usually need to do some internal release of some of the fibrous breast tissue that is causing your current constricted shape below your areolae.  Fat injection may be an option, or as an adjunct to implants.  I would be concerned that the BRAVA would stretch your already puffy and stretched areola tissue more than the surrounding tight breast tissue and skin.  I don't use that device, so if you are considering that procedure, obviously seek out someone who uses it and make sure they have experience using it on breasts like yours.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Hope for a tuberous breast shape

+2

We hear many questions about a tuberous breast, though your breast is the truest example. The good news is that your breast will work as any other, and even breast feeding is possible if that is on your future list. You can have just the nipple herniation reduced or corrected though we would suggest an implant as well to stretch the skin envelope and give better shape and projection to the breast. If you are not in favor of an implant structural fat grafts can be helpful for more modest breast shaping. Be very careful about which surgeon you select as correction such as yours may be out of the ordinary for some cosmetic surgeons.

peterejohnsonmd

Tuberous Breast Correction

+1
The goal of tuberous breast correction is to create a more rounded, regular shape and decrease large areola and large nipples, if necessary. Ideal breasts are comprised of evenly distributed tissue while tuberous breasts are characterized by tissue that is concentrated directly underneath the protruding nipples. Because of this, a common treatment technique involves releasing this constricted breast tissue by making internal radial incisions that allow it to splay out properly. These incisions are done internally so the patient doesn't see anything externally. In most cases I will suggest the placement of an implant, typically in the sub-mammary position to better influence the breast’s shape and to add greater volume. If excess or sagging skin is present, I may recommend performing a breast lift as part of the procedure as well. However, since you mentioned that you don't want implants, it is possible to do so however you should be aware that your cup size may be very small after surgery.

Patients with severe tuberous breast deformity may undergo tissue expansion, infra-mammary fold lowering and reduction to the large nipple and/or areola before the implant is inserted. This would probably be your situation.

As mentioned above, one patient’s irregular breasts can present varying degrees of deformity. This difference in size and shape may make it necessary to employ different treatment techniques for each deformed breast, as well as to properly address massive nipple abnormalities, as well as the appearance of a "herniated areola".

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Yes! There is hope

+1
Thank you for having the courage to post your photos. There is certainly hope for you! The correction of tuberous breasts includes reshaping the breasts on the inside. This can be done with or without an implant, though in the long run you may desire implants. If you want a modest increase in size, you could consider fat grafting for a "natural" augmentation, avoiding implants. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options and pricing.

Grant Stevens, MD

Any hope for me ??

+1

This  is a pure  condition   of   tubular   breast   sindrome ,    showing a   big   deformity of   mamary gland ,  herniation of  areola nipple complex  , and  tubular  breast  tissue 

you should choose    a  very  experienced  plastic  surgeon   in these cases  to   obtain    the best  results  in  this condition . 

you   will need   radiation   of   nipple ,     and breast  tissue  ,  creation of    new  inferior  mamary  fold ,   plus  breas  augmentation     with  smoooth  implants   located   under muscle . My  recommendation   make   uo  your  mind,    and   plan    your  surgery    because   it   will change    your    whole   life !!

Cynthia Disla, MD

Correction for tuberous breasts

+1

Yes, there is hope for you. Thank you for the courage to post your photos. As you know, you have severe tuberous breast. Correction would require an areolar reduction resulting in a scar around the areola and a vertical scar from there to the crease below the breast. If you want implants, this can be done at a late date when the breast is fully healed. This can give you a very attractive breast shape. Neither your problem nor the surgery will not interfere with nursing at a later date. Good luck with this. Try to find a surgeon with experience in correction of this specific problem.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

+1

The primary option for breast size alterations is fat transfer to the breasts and I would not be recommending this to you at 18.  You may change your shape in the next few years or just be stable.  Allow yourself a few more years, then consider some options including an augmentation and fat transfer.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for this decision as they will offer you sound advice.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon