Unhappy With First Nose Job. Would Like it Smaller? (photo)

Hi! I had a nosejob done in 2009 with a sad result. There was no improvements. I have heard the skin of my nose is thick and that makes it harder to improve the look of the nose. Im from Europe sorry my language but I realy need your advice. Is it possible to make the nose more feminine and small? What would you recommend? Sincerely Victoria

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Revision rhinoplasty is an art, not a science. I do not know what your nose looked like prior to this surgery, but your result seems satisfactory.  However, I perform numerous cases similar to yours with improvement in nasal size and shape. It appears to me that your bridge has a slight dorsal bump, the tip is a bit large/bulbous and your columella hangs slightly. I believe these contour deformities could be corrected with a revision rhinoplasty but the surgery should preferably be performed by a specialist in revision rhinoplasty.  

Achieving a Smaller Nose after Primary Rhinoplasty

+1

Your nose can be straightened and the tip refined with revision surgery. It may not actually be smaller after surgery but will appear so by achieving more definition. The hanging columella can also be raised.

Revision rhinoplasty isn't always about making it smaller, but improving the shape

+1

Noses can't always be make smaller. Based on skin thickness there is a limit on how small it can get. However, shape can be improved by using grafts that create impressions in thicker skin and give more shape. This imparts the illusion of a smaller nose.

In the photos posted, the profile-3/4 view the nose looks a lot better. On front view, the tip has what we call a Parenteses deformity. The tip is sort of oblong. It isn't really "large" but the shape make it look larger than it is. An ideal nasal tip should be more triangular shape. If you are interested in further surgery seek out a specialist in revision rhinoplasty and get a personal examination since a lot can be told by touching the nose that can't be seen in photos.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Would a Revision Rhinoplasty Make Your Nose Look Smaller? It Depends

+1

I'm not sure how to interpret the photos. The oblique view is such a good result (and an almost impossible result to obtain if you really do have thick skin) that I wonder if it is actually an imaged view and not a real result. The oblique before photo also appears to have a transcolumellar incision. Are we looking at you after your rhinoplasty in the before photo and an imaged view of what you want to look like in the after photo?  The front 2 photos seem to be the same picture and don't seem to be the same nose as the one in the oblique after photo. Is this a trick question by a crafty board examiner? If the front view and the oblique before photo are you after your rhinoplasty, then yes, I do think a revision could make your nose smaller and more attractive. If you do indeed have thick skin, it would probably not look quite like the after "imaged" photo however.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy With First Nose Job. Would Like it Smaller?

+1

The 3/4 view appears to be a manipulated photo not similar to any of the two frontal views of the nose.  It appears that you may have excess scar tissue over the tip and supratip areas.  This could be thinned with a revision Rhinoplasty.

You may want to consult a revision rhinoplasty specialist before proceeding with further nasal surgery.

+1

I reviewed your concerns and your photos:

Your 3/4 after photo looks improved. Your unlabeled front views look like identical photos and show wideness in the upper 2/3 of your nose: I presume both are the same post-op photo. Without an examination, I cannot determine whether you may benefit from revision surgery and osteotomies to narrow your bridge on front view.

Please consult a reputable revision rhinoplasty surgeon so you could see what might be accomplished in your situation.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Job

+1

Revision rhinoplasty can be performed after twelve months.  The best way to pass the time is frequent visits to your doctor as check-ups.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I also agree with Drs Rand & Prendiville. I think you are looking for a problem if considering additional nose surgery. Please reconsider. 

Rhinoplasty

+1

The oblique view does show significant improvement with a nose that is well balanced to the rest of the face. The two frontal views seem to be the same photograph.

Richard Balikian, M.D.
Temecula Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Results

+1

I agree with Dr. Rand that your oblique views show a very acceptable result.  Based on this information, I would caution against making your nose any smaller.  The only thing worse than disappointment after a primary Rhinoplasty is disappointment after a revision.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon