Surgical Scar on Arm - Most Effective Procedure and Cost?

I had microsurgery and had my tendons fixed after an basketball injury involving a garage window 5 years ago. There is a scar on my arm from the surgery that still haunts me...What is the most effective method or surgical procedure that would have the best results for reducing/erasing my scar & also what price range. Thanks

Some Scars Can't Be Improved

+2

Scars can be an unpleasant reminder of past traumas or dreadful events.

That association can be a strong motivation for scar revision.

Unfortunately, scar revision techniques are limited: the scar in your photograph appears to be about as good as could be achieved.  I would probably not advise any further procedures, as you run the risk of making the scar worse, rather than better.

You could try a test spot with a laser treatment to see if that could be beneficial, but I think you are not likely to make the scar any better.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Improving a white surgical scar

+1

The scar is a fine hypopigmented linear scar.  I would recommend z plasty to break up the scar, followed by fractional co2 laser resurfacing.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Surgical Scar on Arm - Most Effective Procedure and Cost

+1

Thanks for the expert photo of the scar area. My recommendation is to leave the scar alone. We can not improve on that scar and the risk/benefit ratio of achieving any improvement is very LOW! Sorry from MIAMI 

Realistic approach to scars

+1

In many cases, scar revision of surgical scars may make a scar more noticeable. So, I would discourage you from undergoing any scar revision. You should rely on a plastic surgeon to give you a realistic understanding of the result of any scar revision before proceeding with that.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Ideal scar

+1

Erik, I'm sorry this scar bothers you so greatly.  I certainly understand its relationship to a past trauma, but it's actually not a bad scar at this point. I know you hate the scar, but it is thin, flat, pale, and appears soft.  The scar is also in an area that is difficult to revise--there's just not that much extra skin to work with on the forearm.  Honestly, my best advice is to learn to accept that scar as part of who you are at this point.  I think any intervention could potentially make the scarring worse.  Good luck!

Carmen Kavali, MD