Reasonable to Take a Picture of Myself in my 20's and Ask to Look Like That Again? (photo)

When I get older 35-40 or even 45, Instead of bringing a celebrity picture to a surgeon is it reasonable to take in my own picture from my prime? I am very worried about ageing and I want to look like myself for as long as I can. I don't think I would ever add anything to my face like implants, just maybe fillers and skin resurfacing and at maybe 50+ a facelife or something.

Using photos from the past for a cosmetic consultation

+2

Although it is perfectly reasonable to bring in a photo of your younger self to a cosmetic/plastic surgery consultation, remember, no plastic surgeon can promise that you will look like you did in your 20's.  However the photo may help your doctor determine which options of treatment - injectable fillers, Botox, or facelift may be in your best interest.  Best wishes.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Bring in a photo at age 25

+2

I often encourage patients to bring a favorite photo of themselves in their mid-20s as this is when our faces are at their best.  Now we can't necessarily always take peoples faces back to that decade, but it allows us to demonstrate the loss of volume in the temples, cheeks and around the mouth that has occured as well as the increased muscle activity causing active lines on the forehead, midbrow and around the eyes.  It allows us to demonstrate all the normal and natural changes as gravity, muscle activity and volume loss start playing more active roles in the aging process and allow us to restore the volume, relax the muscles, erase the lines and do all we can to keep the face looking as youthful as possible.  Don't forget the skin too!  To keep your skin looking 25 year old takes careful sun protection and professional strength products to stimulate skin turnover and even out those skin tones.  Lasers can add to the effect by removing red and brown age spots, exfoliating the skin and offering resurfacing and tightening of skin.  The effect of all of this is what keeps the skin and the face looking as youthful as possible.

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Using picture of self in 20's for use later in life

+2

While it may or may not be reasonable to look like your 20's when you're in your 40's or 50's, a picture of you in your 20's can be helpful if you are treated later in life.  Depending on the treatment that you might have, the picture of you at a younger age can help direct the treatment strategy.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Great idea to bring a prior younger photograph of yourself to your cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon

+1

In my NYC practice, I often ask my patients to bring a photograph of when they were much younger so I can see their three dimensional contour. I prefer to rejuvenate, and refresh one's appearance, rather than making my patients look different than they ever had before. 

Ronald Shelton, MD

Photos of Patients when they were Younger

+1

I find it helpful to see photos of patients when they were younger. The photos can show how the face has changed. Particularly, they can show where volume was lost and the previous shape of the face. Although it may not be possible to exactly duplicate the younger face, it can be helpful to change the face in the right direction.

Michael Horn, MD

Using Pictures to Guide Cosmetic Procedures

+1

Though it can be helpful to reference a photo so that your physician can see exactly what you're looking for, it's unrealistic to expect to look exactly like a photo you bring of yourself 20 years earlier. Setting yourself up for hopes like that will more than likely cause disappointment. Try to look your very best given your current age and situation. Best of luck! 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Pictures for facial rejuvenation

+1

Bringing pictures of yourself from the past is very useful for cosmetic consultation, as the desired outcome is typically looking natural - ie like yourself, just bit younger, refeshed, rejuvenated. 

Anatoli Freiman, MD
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox and aging

+1

It's not unreasonable to try and withhold or prevent some of the affects of aging with fillers and neuromodulators like Botox and Dysport. Beginning a disciplined skin care regime now, sun avoidance, and practicing overall general good diet and healthy habits are things to do to prevent premature aging. You may not look like you're in your twenties when you're 40, but you will look better with preventative medicine.

Sam Naficy, MD

Reasonable to Take a Picture of Myself in my 20's and Ask to Look Like That Again?

+1

You can try but there is this area od unrealistic expectations. You need to be fully informed of this concept so there are NO surprises. 

Photos of self before procedures

+1

It is more helpful to bring in a picture of yourself than to bring in a celebrity photo for sure. We would all love to turn back the hands of time and have the skin, facial structure, etc. that we did in our 20s, however, its not 100% realistic that this is possible. But I do appreciate when patients have a good photo of themselves, rather than someone else, to compare to.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD