What should I look for when choosing a surgeon for breast revision with multiple issues needing repair?

What is the best way to be sure I'm picking the right doctor ? I don't see any doctors that specialize only in breast revision ,most doctors do multiple procedures . What do I look for ?

+2
Great question. Search for a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience. You need to emphasize not just breast augmentations but re-do augmentations.  Look at many, many before and after photos. Make sure that the photos that you are shown belong to patients of the surgeon that you are considering, not his/her partner or the clinic. Given the opportunity to view countless before and after photos will give you a very good idea to the consistency of the work. Are you being shown a few good results? The situation is analogous to the baseball player who hits a home run once in a while as opposed to the player who has a high batting average because he is consistent every time he steps up to bat.

You need to be able to speak with the surgeon's previous patients. There is nothing like a one to one sharing of info. RealSelf has done a wonderful job in allowing dialogue among patients.

Next, is the surgeon an individual who can earn your trust? Trust is key. You want to be guided along your journey by someone whom you trust. Trust is earned by being candid and truthful. It should not be easily given to the title of MD.

How many years has he/she been performing cosmetic breast surgery? Do you want an experienced surgeon or one that has had limited experience?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthsiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications. Research, research and then research some more. Good luck

+2

I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. Ultimately, it will be important for you to have peace of mind that the plastic surgeon you are selecting has a significant and demonstrable experience helping patients with a type of surgery you are looking to have performed. Often, the plastic surgeon's website will be a valuable resource when it comes to demonstrating similar before/after pictures and learning more about the surgical options.

Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  I hope this, and the attached link ( dedicated to revisionary breast surgery concerns) helps.

How to find an expert in revision breast surgery

+2
Most breast implant revision cases involve more than one issue, and the solution needs to address the underlying issue(s). These can be challenging cases so you are wise to look for someone with a special interest and experience. However, an understanding of the causes of complications needing revision depends also on a breadth of experience with primary breast surgery and other things, so it is not likely that you will find someone who ONLY does revision breast surgery. It has become a focus of my practice over the years, related to my interest in internal bra materials (Alloderm, Strattice, SERI Scaffold mesh, GalaFLEX mesh), the split muscle technique for correction of animation deformity, subfascial technique, and others.

Richard Baxter, MD