Breast Surgery, Recurring Open Wound? (photo)

I had posted previously about that my benelli breast lift I had in 3/12 was fine then started to get a small opening the size of a eraser head it was black first then opened up and was oozing bloody clear think liquid..talked to my plastic surg.who lives 3300 miles away and he said was it soap and water keep it covered. it healed & another came. it is spitting stitch but i dont see any stitch now a new one is showing up black and it looks like it is going to open up...why does this keep happening..

Benelli Lift and Suture Reaction

+1

Depending upon the sutures used in the dermis and the suture used to pursestring the areola, additional suture material may need to be removed.

Benelli and opening

+1

Commonly with a Benelli type lift a permanent suture needs to be placed to minimize the stretch of the areola.  If this suture is infected, it needs to be removed.  Best to see a doctor in person to be properly evaluated.

Problems after Benelli Breast Lift?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Unfortunately, you're experiencing a downside of the Benelli breast lift.  It is likely that a permanent suture was used to control the size of the areola;  sometimes the sutures can be problematic until removed.

You'll probably best off seeking in person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area for more precise advice.

Irritation from permanent suture

+1

Thank you for the question and photo.  I suspect that the issue that you are having is secondary to the permanent suture that was used.  Most purse-string mastopexy procedures utilize a permanent suture to keep the areola from widening.  You are far enough out that the suture is not likely needed any more.  If this is the case removing the suture via a small incision under local will take care of the issue.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Infected Circumareolar Benelli Suture - What Do I Do?

+1

Your recurrent opening at the edge of the areola is due to bacteria trapped in the circle at the outside of your areola.  This circle contains your permanent Benelli suture.  I have done over 350 Benelli mastopexies and I lectured with Louis Benelli for 12 years at ASPS and ASAPS meetings. 

The only way to cure this problem is to remove the Benelli suture and allow this area to heal which will lead to some spreading of the areola.  Of course, a culture needs to be taken of the fluid in the periareola open areas, and you need to be put on the appropriate antibiotic. 

Allow 4-6 weeks after antibiotic therapy and then redo the Benelli mastopexy. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Recurring area of irritation after Benelli Lift

+1

The Benelli lift is great in the right type of breast, but like any procedure there can be complications.  From your description and the picture you have sent, the most likely explanation is that there is a communication between the so-called purse string suture and the external environment. This almost always requires removal of the suture to resolve the problem.

John Q. Cook, MD

Recurring wound after breast lift

+1

As part of Benelli breast lift, a permanent suture is used to control the size of your areola. If you are having recurrent drainage, then most likely the suture is involved. If it's feasible to go back to the operating surgeon that would be the best option. Otherwise find a reputable plastic surgeon to help resolve this nagging issue.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Recurring Open Wound

+1

This most likely is caused by a retained suture. Seven months after surgery any dissolving suture would most likely be gone, so this is likely to be a permanent suture. This is not likely to resolve until that suture is removed. If it is a Goretex suture controlling the size of the areola, you may want to consider having the one on the other side removed so that the areolar sizes may remain even, if somewhat larger than desired. 

Since you cannot find it, your only option is to see your surgeon or one closer to you. Since you had surgery elsewhere, you may have trouble finding someone willing to take this on. 

Thanks for your question, best wishes.

Infected permanent stitch in Benelli lift

+1

Sounds like you had a permanent suture used to control the areolar size and that it has become infected.  This history of opening, draining, healing, repeat is fairly typical for something like that.  The treatment is to get the stitch out.  You should see a surgeon in your area but will likely be deflected back to your doctor because no doctor that didn't do your surgery will want to get involved in treating your complication.  This is one of the reasons not to do surgery away from home.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS