Can breast that have bottomed out be permanently repaired by stitches only?

+3

Thank you for the question. One of the most common complications after breast augmentation surgery is implant malposition. This occurs when the implant is in an incorrect position on the chest wall. This may include incorrect position of the implant superiorly (“riding high”), inferiorly (“bottoming out”), medially (“symmastia or uni-boob”) or laterally (falling outward into the axilla).

Bottoming out involves inferior migration of the implants. This causes the nipple areola complex to appear too high on the breasts. Also, the distance from the areola to the inframammary fold is too great. This is corrected by “raising” (or repiring) the inframammary fold using internal sutures (capsulorraphy). This is done after careful measurements are made from the areola to the “new” inframammary fold.  In my practice, the vast majority of cases of breast implant malposition are corrected successfully/permanently using sutures; occasionally (for example in cases of recurrence of position or where patient tissue strength appears poor)  the use of acellular dermal matrix may be very helpful.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Stitches alone can correct bottoming out of the breast implant

+2
Yes an internal capsulorrhaphy using sutures to close the inferior breast implant pocket can successfully correct bottoming out.  I have used the suture method for many years with great success.

In some patients who have very thin skin and week tissues the use of a suspensory sling made of acellular dermis is recommended.

For more information on breast implant revision please read the following link:

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS