Should I Go Home with a Pain Pump or Not After my Tummy Tuck?

I've seen two of the top surgeons in Boston and one told me I would go home with a pain pump and the other told me I would not. Is it necessary and if you have it, how cumbersome is it? I don't want to freak out my kids!

Pain pump after surgery

I have been using a pain pump after tummy tuck surgery for 7 or 8 years now.  My experience has been that my patients are in general more comfortable and take less medications orally for pain control.  Oral pain medications can increase the possibility of nausea and constipation.  Patients with the pain pump tend to move around more easily after surgery which can prevent the chance of blood clot formation.

Most plastic surgeons over the course of their careers make changes to their practices by either modernizing surgical techniques or improving post operative care to make the surgical experience not only easier and more pleasant but safer as well. Some surgeons may be more diligent about pursuing  these improvements than others.

Thank you for your question and best of luck.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

12998 South Cleveland Avenue
Fort Myers, FL 33907

Pain pump

I would highly recommend a pain pump.  It makes a big difference in my opinion.  My patients routine go home with their pain pumps because it is not very difficult to manage.  Most pain pumps work automatically and in fact you DONT have to pump anything.  They are low maintenance and will help you get through the first few days after the surgery.  Good luck.

Dr. Vasisht-South Shore Plastic Surgery

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

1307 White Horse Rd
Voorhees, NJ 08043

Pain Pump after tummy tuck

I routinely insert a pain pump at the time of tummy tuck surgery and send patients home with them.  I think that the pain pump helps to reduce the amount of discomfort that patients have during the first few days after the procedure.  This allows for a decreased need for narcotics such as hydrocodone.  The pain pump also helps patients get up out of bed soon after surgery with less discomfort.  

Laurence Weider, MD

7777 Forest Lane
Dallas, TX 75230

"Anti-Pain" Pump

Absolutely-- It is a requirement to get out of bed and ambulate immediately after surgery to decrease the risk of blood clot formation in the legs and improve lung/breathing function. I have noted that not only are patients more comfortable , but they are much more willing to get out of bed and walk if they have a pain pump.

William Loutfy, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

5203 Juan Tabo NE
Albuquerque, NM 87111

Use of a pain pump after cosmetic surgery

I  use a pain pump after most of my surgeries.  I actually did a study where we compared the use of narcotics after surgery in 40 patients with and 40 without a pain pump and found a significant reduction in the use of narcotics in the patients with a pain pump  This is good news as there are many undesirable side effects from the use of narcotics -  especially constipation and nausea -  so the less a patient requires the better!   The catheters are put in at the time of surgery and the ball ( which contains the long acting local anesthetic ) is carried in a fanny pack.  Not your best look I agree but the fanny pack can also be used to hold your drains and will not  alarm your kids. 

Susan E. Downey, MD

321 N Larchmont Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90004

Pain Pump after Tummy Tuck

I do like to use a pain pump after tummy tuck surgery and I have had success with sending patients home with the device, after really good instruction in the office.  It can usually be concealed in a small carrier bag just like your drains.  best of luck!

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon

12800 Bothell-Everett Hwy
Everett, WA 98208-6629

Strongest pain killers are utilized i.v inmediately so avoid pain-pump

surely you wont  need any pump at home, just excellent painkillers  that is all

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Calle 54 No. 365 T