Do I Have a Deviated Septum? (photo)

Crooked nose and deviated septum

+2

Your nose appears to have been broken and is now significantly deviated on the outside.  Most likely you have a deviated septum as well.  A rhinoplasty surgeon has to look inside the nose to determine how bad it is deviated.  Repairing this nose will most likely require osteotomies, a spreader graft on the concave side and a septoplasty.  

Crooked nose

+2

You certainly appear to have a crooked nose.  There are many factors that can cause this, either related to prior trauma or not.  Certainly, a deviated septum is one factor.  You appear to have deviated nasal bones as well.  You should have a rhinoplasty surgeon evaluate your nose to know for sure. 

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Frequently when the outside of the nose is crooked, the inside is too

+2

A deviated sepum refers to the inside of the nose and blockage of the breathing. When the outside is crooked, that is due to a crooked septum as well but not the breathing portion. They often go hand in hand. As a matter of fact, most of the time the internal blockage is on the opposite side from where the nose points to externally.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Do I have a deviated septum?

+1

Your nose appears crooked, and it is possible you have a deviated septum. An exam would be necessary to tell for sure. I would recommend having a consult with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. They will be able to examine your nose in person and provide you with advice. I hope this helps, and best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Crooked nose

+1

You certainly have a significantly crooked nose on the outside. There's a good chance that your septum is also deviation, but an exam in the office would be needed to determine this.

Bioth the inside and outside deviations can be addressed with surgery. Check out my web reference below to learn more about septum surgery.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Deviated septum evaluation

+1

Dear Tommy0123,

• There is a saying in facial plastic surgery, As the septum goes, so does the nose...meaning that you probably have a deviated septum as well
  • The best way to tell is to go in for an exam
  • If you have trouble breathing out of your nose, this can all be taken care of in the same sitting
  • When you are ready, go in for a consultation where all of your questions and concerns can be addressed

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD