Is It Okay to Go Home on the Same Day of Having a Full Tummy Tuck?

Post-op care for tummy tucks

+3

Almost every patient needs to be cared for by a competent and knowledgeable person in a safe setting. While it may be possible to get by safely at home on any given occasion, the possible risks and dangerous side effects following a full abdominoplasty demand that a surgeon always err on the side of safety. That means having our patients recover where the effects of these potential complications can be detected and treated and perhaps prevented. These included nausea and vomiting, debilitating pain, deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism, respiratory compromise, and shock.

I prefer overnight observation after Tummy Tuck

+2

Different surgeons handle these cases differently. I like overnight observation with a nurse and vein clot prophylaxis for anything over a mini tummy tuck.

Best Regards.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Aftercare for tummy tucks

+2

We ask that all our full or Hybrid tummy tuck patients spend a night in Aftercare and not go home. It is safer and more comfortable in an Aftercare, even in the era of pain pumps.

Brent Moelleken, MD

+1

Both hospitals and  fully accredited outpatient surgery centers  are appropriate locations to  undergo your tummy tuck procedure.  Of even more  importance, is your selection of surgeon. Some  words of advice in this regard....

Anyone considering plastic or reconstructive surgery should consider consulting a board certified plastic surgeon to achieve the best and safest results possible. Physicians who are considered board certified hold a certification with the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). This certification proves that the surgeon has graduated from an accredited medical school, has completed a residency of at least five years, has three years of experience in general surgery, is actively practicing plastic surgery for at least two years, and has passed mandatory comprehensive and written examinations. These surgeons are referred to as diplomats of the ABPS and have fulfilled the following requirements.  

During your consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, ask to see before and after photos of actual patients who have undergone cosmetic surgery. The surgeon may provide you with a list of patients you may speak to as a reference for the doctor. To enhance your education regarding the surgeon, you may be introduced to some post-op patients as well during your visit with the surgeon. Most patients are willing to share their experience regarding their surgeon, the staff, hospital, and recovery. 

Outpatient Tummy Tuck

+1

We send our patients home after a tummy tuck. It is important that someone be with the patient overnight. I like to have my patients up and walking immediately. I feel that the sooner they get back to normal activities, the faster they heal.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD

Patients can go home the same day following a tummy tuck

+1

Each patient is different however, most individuals are able to go home following a tummy tuck. I make sure patients have good pain control and their nausea is well controlled prior to being sent home. I also require patients to have someone at home with them for the first few days should they need any assistance.

If there is any question whether a patient feels comfortable or is not stable enough to go home, I will arrange for them to spend the night at the outpatient facility where they had their surgery.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck is an outpatient procedure

+1

Tummy tuck can be safely done as an outpatient for the vast majority of patients. Although not necessary, many patients choose to have a nurse the first night, whether they return home or stay at a hotel or aftercare facility.

For older patients or those with certain medical issues, a stay in the hospital could be indicated. But more commonly, I will perform a tummy tuck at the hospital (along with a hospital stay) when the procedure is combined with a GYN procedure like a hysterectomy.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Go home on same day after tummy tuck WITH NURSE.

+1

HI.

We send most patients home the same day they have a full tummy tuck, but these are patients under 50 years old, in excellent health, who are not too overweight. And we insist that a registered nurse take them home and spend the night with them. A big safety factor.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Going home on the same day of a full tummy tuck

+1

This is a 'what if' question. Only IF you, your surgeon, your medical issues, the amount of surgery, the surgery time amounts, combination cases, at home care giver are the many issues you need to over come in order to decide if a Tummy Tuck out patient is advisable for you. 

Tummy Tuck CAN be safely done as an outpatient

+1

Hi there,

The short answer to your question of whether or not it is possible to go home on the same day as your tummy tuck is yes- all other things being equal, almost all tummy tuck surgery can be done on an outpatient basis.

Having said that, it is important to take your health into consideration, as well as your surgeon's qualifications, those of the anesthesia provider, and the certification of the facility in which the procedure is to be performed.

So, the longer answer to your question is- in the right hands, and if you are in good health, it is very safe to go home on the day of your tummy tuck.

For more help understanding how to best choose a surgeon, please read this:

Armando Soto, MD, FACS