Hollowness Under Eyes After Radiesse

I had Radiesse injected in my cheek area for more volume a little over two weeks ago. However, due to the extra volume in my cheek area, my undereyes became hollow and dark. Has anyone encountered this problem? How long before the area goes back to normal again? I am assuming it will go down in a few weeks. Massaging the area does nothing.

Your problem is not likely to resolve soon on its own

+3

Radiesse is quite durable and can last a year or longer in the cheek location, so unfortunately that is how long you can expect the hollowing to last.

You might benefit from injections of small volumes of hyaluronic acid filler e.g. Restylane or Juvederm to the lower eyelids to correct the shadowing effect.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Restylane to correct under eye hollow appearance

+2

I think it is possible to create or exacerbate under eye hollowness trying to increase cheek volume. Massaging will probably not help.

You can go back to the treating physician and address this issue. It might be improved by adding some volume in the under eye area using Restylane or Juvederm.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Too Much of a Good Thing

+2

Hi Judy,

Sounds like either too much Radiesse or improperly placed and feathered Radiesse. Massage, massage, massage, and see your injecting physician.

Part of the darkness under your eyes may be due to some residual deep bruising. If things don't get better within two, three weeks, you and your physician may consider adding some Restylane in the lower eyelid hollows.

Injecting filler in the eyelid hollows is a most advanced technique and requires skill and experience. Make sure that you choose your injector most carefully. Good luck, be well, and let us know how it goes.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Radiesse injection for cheek augmentation

+1

Radiesse is an excellent option for the augmentation of the cheek area. When receiving this injection, it is important to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a great deal of experience in facial rejuvenation. A plastic surgeon will be able to determine how much Radiesse to inject into the cheeks to not only augment this area but to balance this area with the other components of the face. As you may have noticed, too much injection into the cheeks may create an uneven result or may on balance the harmony of the face and draw attention to areas of the face that lacks volume such as the lower eye. At this point, consult with a plastic surgeon who can determine if you may benefit from a small procedure or injection into the infraorbital area or if your best bet is to wait for the results of the Radiesse to eventually wear off.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Radiesse in cheek

+1

The hollowness under your eye may be the result of a few different things. It could be from over filling the cheek and not feathering it into the lower eyelid inferior orbital rim region, it could be shadowing, or it could be swelling. If it is from not feathering or appears hollow, then I would recommend some filler there. If it is from swelling, then I would wait a few more weeks to see if it subsides.

I have seen it happen

+1

Judy

I have seen this happen where the weight of the Radiesse in the cheeks almost pulls down on the lower eyelid leaving a slight hollowing and darker area along the lower rim of the eyesocket. The effect will resolve as the material wears off but it may take several weeks or longer. There is no immediate fix for this, unfortunately.

Dr. Ahn

Min S. Ahn, MD
Westborough Facial Plastic Surgeon