Hollowing After Blepharoplasty

It will be 3 weeks this Friday since I had lower Blepharoplasty. I'm getting really nervous. As the swelling goes down it looks as though there may be some hollowing. And when I look in the mirror in certain lights I can still see small puffy bags. I hope I'm just over analyzing all this. I talked to a nurse at my doctor's office and she said this is normal, that once the swelling goes down that it will lift back up and even out. I'm worring myself so much over this, I so wish I would have researched before the surgery. I rushed into it way to fast. Please tell me, is this really normal?

Three weeks is way too soon

+5

In spite of some others who have screamed that something is wrong, I do not see that at this time. Three weeks is way too soon to be screaming. The bumpiness that you talk about is normal for many within the first 2 months after lower blepharoplasty. The pulling down of your lower lids can be the result of swelling. I often ask my patients to perform excercises to help resolve the swelling and lift the lower eyes. return to your doctor and discuss all of your concerns.

You have a problem, but it can be corrected.

+4

To izzy2008,

Hi. Based on your picture, you have a complication. The border of your left lower eyelid is pulled down, and this will not get better with time unless steps are taken right away. I cannot prescribe treatment but there are a number of things that can be done. See your surgeon and if he is not responsive, see an oculoplastic surgeon. I believe time is of the essence. If the left lower lid heals in this downward position, then you will end up needing more surgery.

You also have some irregularity (hollowness, as you say) in the left lower eyelid, but it is too early to tell how this is going to look eventually. Hollowness can result if too much fat is removed in attempt to correct bags. But you just have to wait for this part of the problem.

Good luck!

Your hollowing after blepharoplasty looks unusual

+3
Three weeks is early in recovery after blepharoplasty. However, typically you see swelling, not the hollow look.

I concur that the hollowing of the left lower eyelid is unusual and concerning as is the apparent downward retraction of the left lower eyelid.

See your doctor and ask if massage to stretch the lower eyelids will help.

In time, these problems, if they persist, can be corrected. Fat grafting through an internal lower eyelid incision--called transconjunctival blepharoplasty-- to correct hollowness of the lower eyelid. If the lower eyelids shorten and pull down, after 6 months a canthopexy or canthoplasty can be done through the upper eyelid to pull the lower eyelid upward.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/hollow-eyes/hollow-eyes-are-not-dark-circles-under-the-eyes/

Be patient, it is still very early

+3

Izzy2008, Please be patient, it is still very early after surgery. You will continue to see chances over several weeks to months as the swelling resolves and the tissues settle. This is due to healing characteristics which go through a normal progression over 6 weeks to 3 months. During this time the collagen is building up and remodeling, which takes time. I hope this is helpful. David Shafer, MD New York City

Web reference: http://www.RealPlasticSurgery.com

Full healing takes 2-3 months

+2

Since it has only been three weeks since your blepharoplasty, patients need to wait until at least two to three months postoperative until full healing has taken effect to assess whether too much or too little fat has been removed from the orbits.

Blepharoplasty swelling

+2

Three weeks is way to soon to evaluate your eyes after Blepharoplasty. In fact, I still see some brusing around your eyes in the photo. Relax and give it some time.

Waiting after blepharoplasty

+1

I would be patient.  A lot can change in the next weeks.  If there is hollowing it can usually be corrected with a HA filler or fat.  if there is additional tightening or fat to be addressed you are better off waitingg a bit regardless