Hole in Labia Minora Following Labiaplasty- Risks?

2 years ago I had a labiaplasty which at first seemed successful.However,after about 6 months I noticed a through-and-through hole in my left labia minora,about 1.5 cm long,as if at some point the stitches had come out and the two sides of the labia had healed separately.Though this has never caused me any discomfort,I'm worried whether there are risks of keeping it this way.Will having the labia restitched involve the same post-op discomfort and care(including the 6 weeks of sex refraining)?

Revision labiaplasty for hole (fistua)

+1

A hole in the tissue will unlikely heal on its own if it has been there for over year (or even a few months).  This is because there is stable coverage.  In the case of the labia, it is likely that a labial repair can be effective to seal the hole.  If the hole is 1.5 cm long, then your healing may be similar to the original surgery and you will have to refrain from sex for a similar period of time.   This complication is not common, but I would go back to the original surgeon if you are comfortable, as this should be relatively straight forward to fix for someone who is board certified in plastic surgery.

Revision labiaplasty...

+1

A hole through the labium, following labiaplasty, is an unusual occurrence. If it isn't bothering you in any way, then there's nothing to worry about, other than the possibility that it may provide a risk for a future inadvertant tear. It is not medically necessary, however, that it be repaired.

Having said that, it can be easily repaired under local anesthesia. Unfortunately, 6 weeks of sexual abstinence will be required. You should time your surgical correction, if you decide in that direction, for a "convenient" period of celibacy!

Charles Gruenwald, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Post Operative Labia Reduction Complication

+1

Yes, you should probably take care of this. You can do this under local anesthesia and the recovery process should be less than the first time around but please speak with your surgeon as to his/her recommendations as to the recovery limitations.

Hole in labiaplasty closure

+1

I have seen one smaller version of that which you describe. Your seems larger and should probably be fixed. Your disability this time should be less lengthy. Talk to your surgeon.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Fistula post labioplasty

+1
Dear clara89, Sorry about your wound breakdown. Repair can usually be done in the office under local. There will be some swelling and discomfort as before. The 6 week moratorium remains a fixture. All surgeries have potential problems I recommend that u see your original plastic surgeon for both of your benefits. Good luck

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty complication

+1

Indeed this can be fixed but I would recommend following up with your surgeon for a direct visual consultation and surgical plan.  Best of luck...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD