Hole in upper right molar -- Does my tooth need to be removed? (photo)

A piece of my upper right rear molar fell out yesterday. My dentist told me that the only options were removal (and no replacement) or removal with an implant. My dentist was not able to find any sold tooth structure at the bottom of the tooth and said a crown would not work. I have attached a photo of what the tooth looks like now. I would appreciate any thoughts on whether the tooth is salvageable. Thank you.

Hole in upper right molar -- Does my tooth need to be removed?

+2
Based on what I see in the photo, but without having additional information and seeing an x-ray and examining your tooth, I suspect you have going on is not decay, but rather "resorption." 
If there is little solid tooth remaining inside, then I would agree with your dentist about removing it, as it is probably too late for a root canal and crown.
Regarding implants, it appears from the photo that the tooth is an upper second molar (#2 or #15), and typically this is not an area that will support well and implant.  However, that does not mean that one cannot be done.  It might need a procedure called bone augmentation and sinus lift surgery, but often times not worth doing because of the time, money and effort to have it done.

Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Might be save able

+2

at first glance I would think it could be saved. An X-ray would help.  Hate to say it, but options are limited on some insurance plans or Medicaid.  Ie, Medicaid has will not pay (as in never) for a root canal on an adult, so the only option presented is removal.  Your choices may be a factor of your insurance.  Without a physical exam, it is hard to say what your options are.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist