Are Hives / a Severe Allergic Reaction a Sign of a Ruptured Implant?

I've had implants for two years 34b small side to 34dd (425cc sub muscle). I find when I get warm from excersize or heat my implants start itching and become uncomfortable. This has been the case since i got them. But i've now broken out in hives, suffering a severe reaction to what general doctor could not pin point. I started wondering if this was a sign my implants ruptured. I got put on steroids & old to see if they come back. Could implants cause this type of reaction? Should I go to a PS?

Hives from ruptured implant

+1

Hi!

I think it is highly unlikely that your implant is ruptured. If your implants are saline then deflation would be present and you can always have a MRI to check for a rupture if you went with silicone. However, there is usually not a correlation between a rupture and an allergic reaction. I agree that you should consult an allergist to find out what is causing this issue.

Good luck!

Dr. Sam Speron

Rupture implants?

+1

It is unlikely that your implants are ruptured. It typically requires a force enough to break ribs to break an implant. Even in the event of a broken implant, there would not be an allergic reaction. It is more likely something else you are allergic to. Still, it is always a good idea to be followed by a plastic surgeon over time.

William H. Gorman, MD

Hives a sign of implant rupture

+1

Since your implants are only two years old it is highly unlikely they are ruptured unless there was some trauma to them at the time of insertion. Being seen by a Plastic Surgeon and getting an MRI may give you some peace of mind. You may want to get evaluated by a rheumatologist or allergist on the chance that something non-implant related is going on. Hope this helps!

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon