Hives From Dysport

I had an injection of dysport on Dec. 1. I have had hives. I have taken benedryl and zyrtec. When I try to stop, the hives come back. Has anyone had this happen to them? How long did the hives last. Also, I have arthymia and my heart beats quicker. When I take the benedryl and zyrtec, my blood pressure goes up. I am 69 years old. I have had botox and have had no reaction.

Dysport/Botox - Hives From Dysport

Though it's tempting to assume that if two things happen around the same time they are related, that may not be the case here.

I have not heard of hives as a result of Dysport injections although, to be sure, anything is possible.  I would think, though, that the reaction would be limited to a shorter period of time, and that makes me think that something else is going on.  The arrhythmia and palpitations suggest further that it's not the Dysport.

I would recommend that you see you internist and discuss these symptoms; a more general work up may be indicated.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Hives and dysport

I have yet to see hives from Dysport or Botox. but I guess it is possible. I would take anti-histamines to reduce the hives. If this keeps recurring, I would have your dermatologist perform a full workup. Dr. Behnam

Ben Behnam, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

I have not seen a reaction of hives from Dysport

I have not seen a reaction of hives from Dysport. Certainly an allergy is possible, but it would be more of a localized allergic response so it is probably not related.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Neurotoxin and hives

HIves or urticaria are caused by increased histamine release from a trigger. A work up by either a dermatologist or allergist for your trigger (which may not be the neurotoxin) may be helpful to treat this and prevent further episodes.