Can Hitting Your Nose Cause a Dorsal Hump?

Will this make my nose bridge higher?

Can hitting the nose cause a dorsal hump?

+1

Trauma to the nose can potentially cause a dorsal hump to develop, and this can depend on the severity of the trauma. The appearance of a dorsal hump can be improved with rhinoplasty surgery. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Changes in the nose after trauma

+1

Yes, nasal trauma can certainly create a bony irregularity in the nose, creating a higher bridge. The nasal bones can also shift to one side or the other, causing the nose to appear C-shaped on front view. This can cause deviation of your septum and narrowing of your internal valves, both of which may affect your ability to breathe. Severe trauma can also cause a fracture of the septum or a septal hematoma, a collection of blood in the septum. After any significant nasal trauma, the septum should be evaluated to rule out the possibility of a blood collection, as this can be serious if untreated. 

If it has been more than a few weeks since your injury, a reconstructive rhinoplasty (nasal reconstruction) could be an option, to restore the appearance of your nose. 

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Trauma can cause a dorsal hump

+1

Trauma to the nose usually causes a callus or bump on the bridge of the nose  at the junction between the bone and the cartilage of the nose. A large hump or convexity of  the bridge is genetic, and not caused by trauma.   Whatever caused  the convexity  or dorsal hump is best addressed  by a rhinoplasty.  Cartilage and bone is filed down along the bridge line  to give a nice smooth contour. Once the hump was then removed, osteotomies will most likely be required.

Can hitting nose cause dorsal hump?

+1

Any traumatic injury to the nose could potentially cause a dorsal hump or other nasal deformity.  When a dorsal hump forms, it normally is located below the bridge of the nose but it all depends on the location and type of the injury.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon