Hit Post 12 Days, Heavy Swelling? (photo)

I'm post 12 days of surgery. And My brother accidently hit me with his elbow right below my nose, causing instant swelling. It didn't hurt that much, nor did it bleed. It was just the intense swelling on one side, both inside nostril and on side of nose. Is this swelling normal? Will this effect my results? I saw my doctor and he just told me to be more careful, to come back in 3 days when swelling lessens, but I'm really worried. Please help!

Hit on the nose 12 days post-op

+1

During the immediate post-operative healing period, a hit to the nose may cause more swelling and discomfort than it normally would. It is good that you are in touch with your surgeon, and I would recommend listening to his or her advice. But things should be ok. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Hit After Rhinoplasty and Swelling

+1

Your plastic surgeon has examined you, and that is all that can be done for now.  The fewer techniques used like suture techniques and cartilage grafts the less likely something was damaged.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Avoid nasal trauma after rhinoplasty

+1

After nasal surgery it is best to avoid trauma. But realistically this sometimes happens. It is best to just give it time and let the swelling subside.  Most likely no major damage was done.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and recent trauma

+1

You did the wise thing to see your doctor. Since your splint is still on, it is probably ok. My advice would be to stay away from your brother!(LOL)

Post traumatic rhinoplasty hit

+1

You may be lucky in that there was just swelling and no boney or cartilaginous damage. Unfortunately, you may not see any changes for a couple of months.

Without bleeding there is unlikely that there will be any changes as a result of the hit.

David Ellis MD

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Art of Facial Surgery

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon