How Do I Know If I've Damaged My Nose if it Got Hit After Rhinoplasty Op?

i broke my nose during football and got a huge bump and nasal fracture.had rhinoplasty about 2 and a half weeks ago but friday(2 weeks and 2 days after rhinoplasty)i got hit with a basketball right to the face accidently but i dont know what damage it could have caused i didnt bleed but my eyes got lil watery. i had a bump after taking of splint but it was alot smaller than what i had before but now the hump grew a little and i feel smaller bumps that arent visible but can be felt when touched

+2

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and from the history you gave...it's very likely that you caused significant trauma to your nose.  IMHO, you should tell your Rhinoplasty surgeon so if your nose is crooked or has a hump 6 months from now...the cause will be certain.  I tell all my Rhinoplasty patients to avoid all contact, to the nose, for 1 month after the surgery.

Contact sports after rhinoplasty

+2

The nose is well enough healed after rhinoplasty to resume sports after four weeks. Contact sports pose a problem as the nose will be more easily fractured and damage your result and airway. Contact sports after two weeks is begging for trouble. Your doctor should have a look and expect him to be unhappy.

peterejohnsonmd

Damaged Nose After Rhinoplasty

+2

Without photos it will be difficult to tell if you have injured your nose. However, if it was a real problem needing surgery it likely would be visually or functionally obvious. See you doctor to help compare your photographs and his opinion about your current appearance.  Normally, as some of the swelling resolves after a normal rhinoplasty, more details will be revealed.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Trauma after rhinoplasty

+2

First of all I would tell you, like I tell my patients, that it will take 6-8 weeks for 80% of the swelling to resolve post surgery. I also tell them to avoid situations where they may injure their nose(such as contact sports) for at least a month post-op. It is probably just additional swelling form a new injury however you should see your surgeon right away to make sure you haven't developed a hematoma or caused other damage. Your post-op massages should be continued as directed.

Von Graham, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Injury to nose 2 weeks after a rhinoplasty

+2

Given the nature of this injury occurring only a little over 2 weeks following your rhinoplasty, you need to contact your surgeon who can then assess your nose for any potential damage. Hopefully, there will be no damage.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Bump

+2

You need to contact your surgeon or see a facial plastic surgeon for evaluation. At this time you may simply have to wait to do anything until healing is more complete

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Nasal Trauma 2.5 Weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

Getting hit in the nose with a basketball 2.5 weeks after rhinoplasty  could easily compromise your result. Please don't ask us to evaluate your nose via the internet; see your surgeon as soon aspossible. 

Hit after rhinoplasty

+1

Difficult to comment without photos. Definitely something you need to contact your doctor about promptly and get his/her evaluation.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon