Injury to nose at age 12, causing bump which has grown. I am now aged 20 (Photo)

My main concern is that since my bump has grown after all these years does this mean that there still might be an injury that hasn't fully healed for some reason? And if thats not the case will my bump still continue to grow over time anyways?

Growing Bump

+1
Hi LS1914,

Interesting question.  I agree with the other respondents, that initial trauma to the nasal bones can lead to bump formation, and that the nose continues to change as we get older.  It’s rather peculiar, though, that the bump would start to grow recently, so long after the initial trauma.  I think it would be wise to see a Facial Plastic Surgeon to make a careful assessment of your nose and ensure that there isn’t a more sinister explanation for this recent and progressive nasal hump growth.  If you do see someone to have the bump removed, make sure to request that they send that specimen for pathological assessment.  It’s almost certainly nothing, but never hurts to be extra careful.

Hope that’s helpful.  Take care, and best of luck.

Dr. Alexander

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to Remove hump

+1
Dear LS1914, A rhinoplasty consultation will help determine what needs to be done to remove your hump and to make sure you have both a functional nose and aesthetically pleasing nose. With the nasal fracture you may need to have a septorhinoplasty done which entails both the function and the cosmetic appearance. A septorhinoplasty is the combination of two procedures the "septo" portion addresses the fracture and the functional aspects of the nose and the "rhinoplasty" portion addresses the aesthetics of the nose.During consultation I use a digital imaging computer which allows me to show my patients their proposed surgical result. The above concerns regarding your hump would be addressed during your consultation and an imaging would be done to allow you to see the proposed results and discuss in length what needs to be done to attain the desired result. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Simle reduction rhinoplasty is in order!

+1
You will do well with a simple rhinoplasty ......closed......!    Your nose will not continue to grow.   Do not worry.
My best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Injury to nose at age 12, causing bump which has grown. I am now aged 20

+1
If you had the injury at age 12, it has certainly healed quite some time ago.  As the nose continues to grow, and as you go through puberty, a bump can certainly form and grow.  It will not "grow" any longer barring any additional injury.

A. Joshua Zimm, MD

+1
I think your hump can be removed with a closed rhinoplasty.  The nose may grow until skeletal growth is complete.  The healing of a fracture only takes a few weeks.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Nose bump

+1
LS1914, you are 20 years old and any changes to the appearance of your nose will be gradual over the next 30 to 40 years. Is you do not like your bump it is fairly routine to have this fixed. See 2-3 rhinoplasty specialists. Make sure they are experienced and you like their photos. Good luck!!!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal bump caused from injury

+1
Trauma and injury to the nose can cause a bump when the nasal bones become fractured. A callous formation occurs at the junction of the bone and cartilage which creates the hump. Some patients are also born with a  dorsal hump. The hump is  composed of bone and cartilage and to remove it require shaving down the hump. Osteotomies of the nasal bones and will be required once the hump was removed during the rhinoplasty procedure.

+1
Unless the bump appeared immediately after the injury, it is unlikely to be related to the injury. These changes occur naturally in males between the 12th and 20th years as their nasal configuration changes from child to man. A rhinoplasty would be cosmetic and should correct the shape change.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Bump

+1
Thank you for the photo and your story is a common one. The good news is that after a rhinoplasty there should not be any further problems with your nose. It is rare for a hump to return if adequately treated. Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon