Getting Hit in the Nose 5 Weeks After Rhinoplasty?

Today, exactly 5 weeks and 1 day post rhinoplasty, I got hit in the nose twice while playing Waterpolo. One of the hits was hard enough for me to get watery eyes. After the match a little bump has grown where my original bump was located. I called my doctor and he told me to place ice and to visit him the next day. I'd like to know if I could have really damaged my nose as I'm very nervous!

Sustaining blunt trauma after rhinoplasty

+2

5 weeks after rhinoplasty your nasal bones will have completely healed.  However, it does sound as though you sustained a pretty significant trauma, so it is possible some injury could have occurred.  Hopefully, though, the little bump is just swelling.   

Ice Nose Until Doctor Visit

+1

I am sorry to hear what happened.  Usually, bones start to solidify about two weeks after manipulation but it also depends on what was performed during your initial procedure.  If a lot of work was performed on the bone, it may still mobile enough for it to move after a significant trauma or force.  I agree with your physician that ice is helpful in the immediate period, but a visit with him/her is the best as your surgeon already has a baseline of what your nose looked like pre-surgery, during surgery and post surgery.

Carlo Honrado, MD, FACS

Trauma after rhinoplasty

+1

While the bones are relatively solid at this time, it is possible you might have displaced or dislodges something. Also, it is possible you could have sustained a bone trauma with the result being a recurrent hump. Ice and taping are reasonable options since it is unlikely anything can be acutely done until about a year from your rhinoplasty. Good luck.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Trauma to the Nose 5 Weeks After Rhinoplasty

+1

Rick, sorry to hear about your situation. I have kids that play water polo so I understand the type of injury you might have sustained. If you were my patient, I would be fairly concerned that something might have been damaged, especially if you noted a small bump following the injury. Your surgeon should be able to determine this fairly quickly. Good luck. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hit on nose 5 weeks of nose job

+1

I am sorry but you should be more careful with sports for a longer duration after nose job although bones have united strongly by now.

Little bump appearing over the old bump site could be collection of Blood ( Haematoma) and just a busing or could be more serious.Your doctor can investigate and find out how severe is the trouble.I can only wish you good luck and be careful next time.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon