Hit in face one week after open rhinoplasty. How worried should I be?

Hello: I had open rhinoplasty one week ago. The day I got my cast off, my daughter threw a bean bag toy from the top of the stairs and it hit me in the face. I believe that the direct hit was to my right check, but the toy did make contact with the side of my nasal bridge. The force was minimal. No pain, bleeding or change in appearance. I contacted my PS and he told me not to worry and to follow-up with him as scheduled in 2 weeks. Should I be worried? Thanks.

Rhinoplasty : Hit in My Face- A Problem?

+1
This happens frequently! I believe that everything will be fine. Especially without any bleeding or evidence of more trauma.

It is very common to have this type of thing happen after surgery. It is almost like the nose is a magnet. Get a rhinoplasty and then things start hitting the nose.

Yes, problems could happen from real trauma, but all we can do now is watch it.

I would say the chance of the hit causing a problem for you is less than one percent.

I'm sure you are fine.

Good Luck!

Dr Chris Saunders

West Chester Plastic Surgeon

Hit in Face After Rhinoplasty

+1
It is interesting how often I receive a phone call asking about minor trauma to the nose following a rhinoplasty I've performed. I have heard everything from getting elbowed in the face at a bar to having an iPad dropped on the nose. In general, minor trauma to the nose is unlikely to cause significant damage.

In the first week the nose is protected with the splint. In the weeks that follow, I describe the nose as a "house of cards." The bones are somewhat mobile and the tip is usually held together by fine sutures. As a result, the nose is fragile. I always advise my patients to avoid situations where their nose is likely to get injured, e.g. bars. That being said, it would take a fairly significant amount of force cause injury. 

I always ask my patients if the nose looks or feels any different. If it does not, then there was likely no damage. If something does look or feel different then it may be necessary to fix it. Once I take off the splint I tell all of my patients to please be careful and protect their nose as much as possible. At the same time, we all need to live our lives and sometimes things happen. It can almost always be fixed.

Robert Morin, MD