My Upper Eyelids Are Always Puffy, Am I a Candidate for Upper Eyelid Surgery?

I work in IT,I live in San Diego,I have swollen eye lid issue.My eye lids get swollen preety easily since i work infront of computer monitor all day. Some times all four.Mostly the issue has been on going with Right upper eye lid.I have been going to UCSD -Shiley eye center from last two years.They ve drained my eye lid,i have taken zylet,and other medicine from last two years but no change in the situation. I told them to do surgery and reslove but some how they dont do that.I've BCBS.Help

Blepharitis

+2

It is difficult to assess without an examination but it sounds like you have blepharitis with possible sty (chalazion). Blepharitis is a chronic problem and there is no surgery for blepharitis but sty (chalazion) can be improved with injections/surgery if needed.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon for second opinion.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid pufiness and possible need for upper eyelid tuck

+2

In young people ypper eyelids can get puffy or swollen as a result of inflammation caused by allergy or other insults. in older people upper eyelid skin excess can hang over the eyes and give a person the apperance of being tired.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

+1

No, the amount of upper eyelid skin, in the photos, is normal aesthetically IMHO.  Removing any of this skin, with an upper eyelid surgery, would only make the eyes appear more feminine.

Puffy Upper Eyelid

+1

Very difficult problem that may ultimately need a minor change in occupation, Your best bet is to stick with the advice of a very experienced ophthalmologic surgeon.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

It is difficult to  give you good advice without direct examination.

Based on your description and pictures however I doubt that you will be a good candidate for blepharoplasty surgery. Please make sure you don't follow wrong hands and have a procedure done that is not indicated. ( every procedure has its potential risks/ complications).

Eyelid swelling

+1

Episodic swelling is more likely due to environmental issues, ie pollen, dust. pollutants.  In my area of the country something is blooming year round causing allergic eye problems.  Your issue does not sound like a mechanical problem with the eyelids.  Therefore I would avoid surgery which could worsen your condition.  Your doctors sound like they know what they are doing.  Continue to see them.  If you should have an infection, that would need to be treated by them urgently.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon