I Have a History of Spider Angiomas. Can I Have the Laser Treatment While Pregnant?

Spider Vein Treatment During Pregnancy

+2

As a general rule, you should not get any procedures during pregnancy. This is the safest thing for the fetus. Definitely no lasers or sclerotherapy. Talk to your Obstetrician and he/she will agree.

Buffalo General Surgeon

Delay Treatment.

+1
Both spider angiomas and spider veins may increase during pregnancy and, similarly, may decrease post pregnancy.  Their treatment is elective and they should not be treated while pregnant. i would not recommend laser treatment while pregnant.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Laser Treatment While Pregnant?

+1

Thank you for your question. I recommend no lasers while pregnant and only after breast feeding has finished.  Is it safe, likely, but there is no evidence proving that. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Vein Treatment While Pregnant

+1

I typically encourage my patients to wait after pregnancy before having any laser treatment done, especially for blood vessels or vascular lesions, as they are perpetuated by the high hormone levels in pregnancy, and the lesion may remain or continue to grow with the pregnancy even after the laser treatment.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Spider angioma and laser treatment

+1

Since spider angiomas are benign lesions, you should wait until after you deliver your baby to have treatment.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Laser During Pregnancy

+1

I would not recommend undergoing any laser procedure while you are pregnant. In general, these types of elective procedures are avoided at this time, as their effects on the fetus are largely unknown. At the same time, spider angiomas are benign vascular lesions that can be treated extremely effectively with laser.  You can rest easy that there is a good treatment for you as soon as you deliver!

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Spider angioma

+1

While it is not clear if it is unsafe for the fetus since the penetration of the laser beam is very limited, the lesion may resolve after pregnancy, so I would wait. Also there may be a higher risk of the laser turning your skin brown after treatment,just like the brown line down the middle of your stomach.

Vicki J. Levine, MD

Laser Treatments While Pregnant not recommended

+1

I agree with the previous respondent and I am sure your OBGyn would agree.

Pregnancy also increases blood flow so angiomas can develop and be larger during pregnancy. Some may shrink after delivery. That is another reason treatment after delivery is best. 

Susan Goodlerner, MD
Torrance Dermatologist

Treatments during Pregnancy

+1

In the aesthetic field of medicine we do not treat women while they are pregnant because of the untested affects of the treatment on the Fetus. It would be unwise to knowingly do otherwise. As most Spider Angiomas are purely a cosmetic nuisance, this would fall into this category of "hands off the patient" until after delivery. 

Kenneth Janoff, MD
Portland General Surgeon