History of Anaphylactic Reactions - Safe to Get Botox?

I have a history of anaphylactic reactions that started in my early 20's. lasted over 10 plus years, into my early 30's. I probably had 20 plus episodes and currently carry an epi-pen, although it has been about 10 years (I am 45) since my last reaction. Doctors could never pinpoint a specific cause. Is it safe for me to get botox? Thank you!

Safety comes first!

+2

I would suggest visiting an allergist/immunologist who could test for the individual components. Although my colleagues and I have never heard of an allergy from the vary safe Botox safety always comes first.If you can find an answer with the allergist, patch testing may discover allergens capable of producing a potential anaphylactoid reaction.

Web reference: http://www.advanceddermatologypc.com/cosmetic/cos_botox.html

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Botulinum toxin (Dysport and Botox) and history of Allergy and Analphylaxis

+1

True anaphylactoid type reactions to Botox are rare and should not be a concern, However, I would discuss this with your allergist.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/skin-procedures-chicago/injectables/botox/

Multiple allergies should be evaluated

+1

While Botox administration is very safe and the risk of having an allergic reaction is rare, it would be best to be evaluated by Allergy / Immunology first.  In addition, if one has multiple, life-threatening allergies (that require carrying around an epi pen) --- it might be best to have this underlying condition further as there may be traditional as well as alternative medical therapies available that may boost your immune system.  Strengthening one's immune system via good nutrition, supplements, and possibly Immunology evaluation will ultimately generate a healthier, younger individual.

Allergies and botox

+1

Allergic reactions to Botox? Botox has an extremely safe profile. That being said an allergist or your plastic surgeon could skin test you to see if you have any allergy to botulinum toxin very easily. 

Risk of anaphylaxis to Botox

+1

If your anaphylaxis is an allergic reaction to one allergen, it does not mean that you would develop an allergy to another, yet many people with allergies, are in fact allergic to several antigens. Clincially, the risk of an allergy to Botox is extremely small. You may be able to find an allergist that will do a skin prick test to the botox solution (the dermatologist or plastic surgeon who you plan on having inject you with the Botox would have to provide the allergist with the solution if the allergist could not acquire it themselves from Allergan, the company).

+1

Very interesting issue. For your safety I would recommend against Botox injections. Just my personal thoughts. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Anaphylaxis and Botox

+1

People develop anaphylaxis as a result to a specific allergy. You may want to see an allergsit to determine what those may be before having Botox injected.

Not sure if you have Anaphylaxis or Angioedema

+1

Not sure if you have the correct diagnosis.  You should consider getting evaluated forr Angioedema.  In any case, the possibility of having a reaction to BOTOX is extremely rare.  I have even injected (just today) patient's with history of angioedema with botox and had no issues.

Anaphylaxis

+1

It is very, very unusual to have a reaction to Botox - even a minor reaction.  With your history of major anaphylaxis reactions with unknown cause, it would be important that you have a complete evaluation by an immunologist prior to any injections or new medications.  If with this, you would need to carefully consider the risks and benefits of any treatment.  Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

I am anaphylactic to unknown agents, is it safe to get botox?

+1

Anaphylaxis is a life threatening emergency, a massive immune reaction.  Some patients die from peanut allergies or bee stings, for example, by this mechanism.

If you have reactions to unknown agents, then by definition, anything can cause the problem.  Therefore it would be prudent to test for the problem first, being prepared for the worst, before subjecting your self to a full treatment.