Any Hints on How to Decide Which Rhinoplasty Plan is the Best to Go With?

I have a complicated rhinoplasty history and have had several in-person consults with double board certified facial plastic surgeons/ENTs and have described the few things I still dislike about my nose and brought my 3 surgical reports for review.Each surgeon has come up with a very different surgical plan for my nose. This is very frustrating and confusing to me. How to know which plan to go with or if I should just let it be?

Challenges of revision surgery and choosing the surgeon

Revision surgery remains one of the more challenging procedures to get a predicatable outcome. When you are faced with several opinions of surgical approach and you already had several failed operations, choose the surgeon first than the aproach that is simpler with less risk of further complications or scars. Less is more and the enemy of "good" result isa striving for a "perfect" one. The late Michal Jackson had access to the very best doctors yet his rhinoplasty quest for "more" of a narrowing  ended up in highly visible undesirable surgical result.

In complicated issues with rhinoplasty "Less is More" and "good" is better than "perfect".

Greeley Facial Plastic Surgeon

6500 W. 29th St.
Greeley, Colorado 80634

Rhinoplasty Opinion

Much like anything in life, everyone is going to have their own sense of style and taste.  The same thing is true for aesthetic nasal surgery.  Some surgeons may have a certain taste for a particular style, while others may not.  Also you must consider the ability of the surgeon to achieve such a result.  This may differ from surgeon to surgeon.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

2080 Century Park East
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Revisional Rhinoplasty Requires Individual Treatment Planning

Revisional rhinoplasty is difficult and there is no standard method when it comes to improving the secondary nasal deformity. It is impossible for any of us here to comment on your nose and any plan that a surgeon has proposed without a lot more information which this venue does not provide. Just because two surgeons have differnet plans does not mean both may not  provide some improvement and I doubt if one is the right plan and the other one is a wrong one. If these two plans have confused you then I would go and get a third one. Another additional opinion may provide more information that may help one particular approach become more appealing to you.  

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Indiana University Health North Hospital
Carmel, IN 46032

Choosing a Revision Rhinoplasty Surgeon

Choosing your surgeon will be the most difficult part of your revision rhinoplasty operation. You are smart to spend the time consulting with multiple physicians and getting different opinions. You want an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon who listens to you, explains all your options, answers all your questions, and shows multiple examples of patients with problems like yours whose results you like.

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

The Craftsman, Not the Tool

It is understandable, and not unusual to hear different recommendations from equally qualified experts, especially with "a complicated rhinoplasty history."

Choose the surgeon who is properly qualified and in whom you feel the greatest confidence.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

2050 E County Line Rd
Highlands Ranch, CO 80126

3different plans for Rhinoplasty

Yes, this is the art of medicine and aesthetic medicine in general. Each plastic and cosmetic surgeon will have a different way to accomplish the surgical goals. I have written an article on How To Choose Your Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon that you may find helpful. Basically, IMHO, it's the experience and aesthetic judgement that should guide your decision on your Revision Rhinoplasty surgeon. In over 20 years performing Rhinoplasty I have's best to be focused and less invasive when performing Revision Rhinoplasty.

8500 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Which rhinoplasty plan is best for you

The best rhinoplasty plan is the one that clearly addresses the problems which bother you. After three prior procedures, you have very specific ideas of what you want. The surgeon who conveys the best understanding of the ideal 'you' is the one to go with. Perhaps you will be convinced by prior results, or even better computer simulation of what the goal and end result might be.

8901 West Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016

Don't go with the plan but with the surgeon

You are in the position of anyone going to see a specialist with an expertise that he or she doesn't have.  I would have the same problem if I needed legal or financial advice--or someone to fix my car.  There is no way for you to check out the plan--on the Internet or anywhere else.

Find a surgeon who can show you results in patients with similar nasal problems that you like.  Find a surgeon whom you trust and who you believe has your best interest at heart--not his or hers.  Hire the person, not the plan.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

19 Tyler St
Nashua, NH 03060

Revision rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty is the most difficult cosmetic operation of all. Revision rhinoplasty is the most difficult rhinoplasty. Look at pictures, interview old patients and above all are you and intended doctor on the same page

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

3711 Lomita Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90505

Rhinoplasty revision

There is no way for you to know. And if you go to 10 different doctors you will hear 10 different plans. Try to see plenty of photos of the doctors work and try to find a case similar to yours and see how it came out.

David E. Kim, MD

436 N. Bedford Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210