I Was Wondering if I'll Have to Repeat Lip Injections if I Decide to Do Them?

Hi! I was wondering if I would have to repeat the lip injections if I decide to get them? If so-how often? What happens if you do not repeat the injections? What is the best filler for long lasting and natural results?

Lip Fillers look and feel great for about 6 months.

+2

Lip fillers such as juvederm,restylane or belotero ($550/syringe) look and feel great for about 6 months and then disappear.  If you stop the fillers, then the lips go back to the way they were before fillers. If you love the look of the fillers , then switch over to the permanent implants for $1500-2000/implant. This saves a lot of money and discomfort. I don't like silicone or fat in the lips. Too many problems. sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

+2

No you don't have to repaet the lip augmentation with fillers unless you wanted to maintain the volume they provided.  There's no other requirement, to do so, other than the aesthetic benefit.  I prefer Juvederm Ultra for lip augmentation and this lasts between 6-9 months.  For additional lip augmentation, when desired, Alloderm lip implants work very well and last 7 years.  

Fillers to lips

+2

If injectable fillers like Perlane or restylane are used for lip augmentation, the procedures will most likely have to be repeated every 6-9 months.  Good luck.

How long does dermal filler last in the lips?

+2

Dermal fillers tend to last about 12 months, give or take, in the lips. The procedure can be comfortable performed in the office with numbing cream applied. If you find the procedure to be painful, dental blocks can easily be performed to really numb your lips so that you feel no discomfort.

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation

+2

Fillers do not stay in the lips long. Absolutely no permanent fillers.

Other option is fat transfer to the lips. This will need a very experienced surgeon and may have to refill one more time. Some fat will absorb some will stay long term.

Lip augmentation options-fillers and implants

+2

A good and safe filler to start with is Juvederm which last on an average 9 to 12 months.  Because it is a natural substance present in your body, it simply breaks down into water molecules and your lips will go back to the pretreatment appearance. A more permanent yet reversible option in my practice is a new soft and natural feeling lip implants, which patients love because they dont need repeated injections and repeated costs.

C. Carson Huynh, MD, DMD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Repeating lip injections

+2

There aren't permanent lip fillers, other than silicone, which I absolutely do not recommend. Any other lip fillers like Juvederm, Restylane, Boletero need to be repeated every 6-12 months, depending on your body. We recommend that patients do lip fillers at about the 9 month mark usually, as there is still a good amount of product left most of the time, so patients don't return to baseline and have to start over. This helps the fillers last longer in all actuality as well. The most common lip fillers would be the three I listed above, and I usually prefer Restylane, as it gives a good plumping and natural feel. It is key to find a good, experienced, board-certified injector!

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Lip Augmentation Fillers

+1

There are many options for lip augmentation including fat grafting, hyaluronic acids such as Restylane or Juvederm as well as synthetic products.  Longevity depends on the individual and the product used.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Lip aug

+1

I prefer Juvederm but restylane works fine as well. It lasts around 6 months to a year. If you want to maintain a result you must return every 6-8 months. If you decide to wait longer then your lips will slowly return to preinjection appearance. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Conservatism Is Recommended For Lip Augmenation

+1
The longevity of lip augmentation depends on the filler or device used. Hyaluronic acids like Restylane and Juviderm are most popular because they are soft, reversible, and very safe.  Unfortunately due to muscle activity in the lips, they resorb faster than other areas (4-5) Months.  Repeated injections are quite safe.  Radiesse can also be used with slightly greater longevity, but the risk of hard lumps is higher with this product, so it is less popular.  Permanent fillers like silicone and various types of implants have been used for lip augmentation with good short term results but poor long term results.  The most common judgement error in lip augmentation is to overdo it.  Subtle augmenation works best and is natural.  Over-augmentation looks done and is not very attractive.  Be conservative.  Good luck! 

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon