I Am 8 Weeks Post Abdominoplasty and Hernia Repair with Mesh. What Kind of Activities Can I Do Now? (photo)

I am mother of triplets.I have to do quite some work.I have swelling in my upper abdomen and above my pubic area.can I bend down to pick things up and can I sleep on my stomach. How much of weight can I carry? My upper abdomen is sore n I feel the pain when I press it.is it normal.what kind of workouts can I start?

Activities after complicated abdominal wall repair from abdominoplasty are dictated by your surgeon.

+1

The fact that mesh was used as part of your abdominoplasty implies that weakness of the abdominal wall was somewhat complex. You need to listen carefully to the instructions of your surgeon.

I Am 8 Weeks Post Abdominoplasty and Hernia Repair with Mesh. What Kind of Activities Can I Do Now?

+1

This kind of question really should not be answered by a stranger. Since you have had a hernia repair, this is not a usual abdominoplasty recovery. Your surgeon will be the proper resource for these question. The surgeon knows what was done, and has followed your recovery. 

All the best. 

+1

Best to ask your surgeon the exact protocol to returning to activities! We really do not know you or the exact surgery techniques used, so to tell you to start exercising is not the correct path to follow. 

Limit heavy physical activity for 4 weeks following abdominoplasty

+1

Hi Nandy81 - I hope you are recovering well and that the triplets are behaving!

Your surgical procedure was not just a standard abdominoplasty in that a mesh hernia repair was performed. The only person who can really answer your question about returning to physical activity is the plastic surgeon who did your surgery - give them a quick call and clarify what they are happy for you to do. I would also have your plastic surgeon check out the abdominal discomfort you are having.

That said, I normally have my patients return to physical activity after 4 weeks. I tell them to start off slowly and that if it hurts, stop.

Damian Marucci, MBBS, FRACS
Australia Plastic Surgeon