Is It Possible To Remove The Belly Button During a TT?

I had a baby four years ago and have stretch marks & loose skin. I'm very petite and know theres not enough skin to have a full tummy tuck with a new belly button. Honestly I would prefer to not have a belly button at all than to have a saggy one. I know there will be a more visible and possibly a larger scar, but is there any way to have a tummy tuck done higher up on your abdomen so they can remove the belly button with the excess skin?

Improving Belly Button Shape With A Mini-Tummy Tuck

+2

While what you are envisioning can be done, it would not be advised. Besides having a very high abdominal scar, not having a belly button creates an unusual look. You would be better served by having a mini-tummy tuck with an umbilical float technique. This will help get rid of the loose skin look and wrinking around the belly button as it is relocated lower as the skin around it moves downward. While it may not create the maximal amount of abdominal skin tightness that you may desire, it will result in an improved but natural look.

Removing belly button

+1

I would never remove a belly button on a tummy tuck unless the patient is very obese. You will look very weird without a belly button. See a PS and they will address your concerns.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Removal of Belly Button Permanently is Never Necessary

+1

Hi there-

Without examining you it would not be possible to say for sure, but based on what you have shared about your abdomen (stretch marks and loose skin), I would bet that a skilled and talented Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) surgeon could help you achieve a lovely result without the need to remove your belly button.

The key is going to be in your choice of surgeon. Be sure you find one Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery (and no, other Boards are not the same), and that you prioritize properly- his education, training, credentials, experience, evidence of skill and talent (consistently lovely results) and a history of ethical behavior should all be more important to you than the low price he offers you..

Think of it this way- you are putting your safety and happiness in this person's hands... don't make the mistake of thinking we are all the same and a tummy tuck is a tummy tuck is a tummy tuck. You will have to live with the outcome the rest of your life (revisions are limited)- choose carefully. 

Here is a good example of someone who initially thought she was not a good candidate, but achieved a lovely result:

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Removing belly button during tummy tuck

+1

Yes, it can be done but it may or may not be the right thing to do. The only way to know what is best for you given your anatomy and goals is to have a consultation with one (or perhaps more) board certified plastic surgeons who can evaluate you individually and make recommendations for you. You should feel comfortable with the surgeon you choose to do your surgery. Good luck.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Removing bully button with tummy tuck

+1
Yes the belly button can be removed during a tummy tuck, but this is not advised unless you are morbidly obese with a large panniculus (large redundant over hanging skin and subcutaneous tissue in the lower abdomen. However, a full abdominoplasty with leaving the belly button in place will likely leave a short mid line lower abdominal scar or short upside down "T". Alternatively, a sliding abdominoplasty can release the attachments of the bully button and slide it downward.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck for Petite Patient?

+1

I would not suggest that you have your belly button “removed” during tummy tuck surgery.  It is very likely that with careful planning of incision lines ( for example a slightly higher transverse incision and/or a vertical  incision)  that a tummy tuck operation can be designed and performed for you.  In other words, despite your petite frame it is very likely that a tummy tuck operation can be performed safely for you.

With these modified incisions you may have to alter your choice of undergarment and/or swimming wear;  you will likely be better off doing so then sacrificing your belly button.

You may do well with additional in-person consultations with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

It is not necessary to remove the belly button for a nice, snug tummy tuck

+1

It is likely that the tummy tuck can be done well and still keep your belly button. See two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate for tummy tuck and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Remove the belly button with tummy tuck, really?

+1

We have seen patients after umbilical hernia repair where the surgeon cleverly removed the belly button so the hernia would not recur. The look is simply not a good one. There is no need to remove your belly button in order to have a great tummy tuck result.

Peter Johnson, MD

There is always enough skin

+1

If you have had a child, in my over 30 years of experience there is almost always enough skin to get a great result with a tummy tuck, leaving you with a new belly button. You need a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon who is comfortable doing tummy tucks.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Remove the belly button with tummy tuck?

+1

It is certainly possible to remove the belly button if you really wanted to but it would still leave you with a little udn down scar. You might do well with an umbilical float procedure. It's impossible to tell without an exam.

The umbilical float is when the base of the belly button (the deepest part) is release/disconnected from its attachment and can be moved downward together with the skin around the belly button. I use this technique when the skin is not loose enough above the belly button that it will reach all the way down. It also is very good fo patients who do not want a scar around the belly button. It does have some limitations though and is not for everyone. In your case it will probably do the trick in letting the tummy tuck scar be revised downward. You should wait though, for about 6 minths to allow everything to get nice a soft and stretchable again. There is also a limit to how far it can be lowered and not make your belly button appear "too low".

Ronald Schuster, MD