Swollen Navel and Uneven Stomach 5 Months After Tummy Tuck

June20th 2010 I did my tummy tuck along with umbilical hernia.my area above the navel is swollen.left part of my stomach the fat is not removed.my stomach is uneven.I exercise a lot.but it is not helping.I cannot wear any tight clothes it looks funny.can u pls help me what can I do about this.

Tummy Tuck Results?

+1

Unfortunately, despite your good description, it is not possible to give you good advice without direct examination.

Your plastic surgeon however will be able to address your questions and concerns;  follow up with him/her and voice your  concerns in a calm nonaccusatory fashion.

Tummy tuck at 6 months

+1

Certainly you can have residual swelling of the abdomen at six months, and you can have differential fat deposits that make one side look fuller than the other.  If concerned, you shouls speak with your surgeon.

Tummy tuck

+1

I think that this is something that your plastic surgeon needs to address.  Uneven abdominoplasty, though it does occur, should be evened with a second procedure.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

UNEVEN AFTER TUMMY TUCK

+1

I would go back to your doctor and let him/her examine you.It may be residual swelling,recurrence of the hernia or weakness in the plication of your midline.I think 5 months is adequate time for most swelling to go down.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty outcome

+1

I would definitely return to your doctor and voice your concerns.  This area of swelling may represent one of several issues

• Persistent edema following surgery (less likely)
  • Hernia recurrence
  • Inadequate plication of the rectus fascia
  • Uneven fat resection

For a more detailed evaluation, see your doctor or consider posting a photo.

Good luck!

Jason Hess, MD

Jason R. Hess, MD

Revision abdominoplasty

+1

IT sounds as if you should have a return visit to your surgeon for a discussion of the outcome and options available for improvement.

Swollen Navel After Umbilical Hernia Repair Means Hernia May Have Come Back!

+1

You have to go back to your surgeon.  A swollen navel after umbilical hernia repair suggests that the hernia has come back.  Usually it is a simple matter to diagnose this through an examination by your surgeon.  Most hernias that are causing a visible lump are pretty easy to diagnose by just examining the area.  On the other hand, if you mean that there is redness and swelling of the tissues, then that could mean that there is an infection in the sutures that were used to fix the hernia in the first place.  

If you have swelling on one side of the tummy which is obvious to see through clothing, I would definitely return to see the surgeon to see what the problem is.  Possible causes include fatty tissue, as you suggest, but also seroma formation (an abnormal bag of fluid).   Many surgeons don't bother closing the inside wound between the skin flap that was lifted up and the muscle layer below.  Fluid can sometimes build up in that pocket (which is why drain tubes are often used initially after surgery.  If the fluid comes back and builds up, the body often walls it off.  That can create a lump that is visible on the surface.  Sometimes, an ultrasound might be done to diagnose it if it is difficult to tell on clinical examination.  The first thing you should do is to go back to the operating surgeon for an opinion about what is going on.  

Claudio DeLorenzi, MD