I Have Quite Visible Nasolabial Folds at the Age of 24, What Would the Cause Be? (photo)

Hello, i have visible nasolabial folds, despite being quite low body fat, and my face seems to maintain a level of fat in the cheeks despite being around 7% body fat. What is the reason for my nasolabial folds because i see many that are a lot older that don't have them + i take care of myself. From what i've heard, its either bone structure or muscle attachment, and i would be very grateful i could have a answer to this, and how it could be treated. Thank you in advance!

Fillers for Nasal Labial Folds...

+2

Genetics, bone structure, and muscle mass all play a part in your facial contouring.  Consider having Juvederm injections to fill the folds.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Grant Stevens        Marina PlasticSurgery Associates          Marina del Rey, CA         The Institute

Prominent Nasolabial Folds - Radiesse

+1

Radiesse would be ideal to get rid of your nasolabial folds - the underlying risks are not important in this case. You will need repeat injections in 8-14 months.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Improving the appearance of nasolabial folds

+1

Sometimes patients have issues as you describe at a younger age, and this is usually due to genetics. But not to worry, the appearance of your nasolabial folds can be improved. Looking at your photo, the depth of the folds does not appear to be severe. Perlane or Radiesse yield a fantastic result for the nasolabial folds. From here, I would recommend a consult with a board certified physician who has a lot of experience with filler. He/she will be able to assess your situation and provide you with some advice. Thanks and I hope this helps!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Why do I have prominent nasal labial folds ?

+1

Bone structure, minimal fat, sun damage and a number of factors play into this, but it looks like you would be a perfect candidate for Juvederm Ultra Plus in your mid face and nasal labial folds. It would give your face a more youthful lift and correct the fine lines forming in your nasal labial folds! 

Sam Naficy, MD

Cause of nasolabial folds

+1

The cause of your nasolabial fold is based mainly on genetics, but also your bone structure, the amount of fat and muscle in your face, and any weight loss. Filler injections such as with juvederm or restylane with an experienced injector is likely a great option for you. Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm for the smile lines and nasolabial folds

+1

Dear enz00

• Low body fat usually means a slightly hollowed face,
  • Lucky for you, this is a masculine feature
  • This can make lines appear deeper as you have less upper cheek fat
  • You can either gain a little weight, or try a filler for the smile lines and even under the eyes if necessary

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

One of life's little ironies

+1

I applaud you for your good health!

Unfortunately those of us with a great BMI tend to have minimal fat, not only in our abdomenal area as we would wish, but also in our faces. This can contribute to a falling of the upper cheek structures, and create an exaggeration of the naso-labial fold. You may be a great candidate for a filler- either classic like Juvederm, or Radiesse; or possibly the new generation of collagen stimulators such as Sculptra. Check with your specialist to see what options might exist.

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filling the empty space

+1

Juvederm is a great tool for filling the empty space some people have in their nasolabial folds.  Restylane is another hyaluronic acid filler, which can be used in the nasolabial folds.  I like both of these fillers because they can be dissolved with hyaluronidase if there is too much volume added in treatment.  Volume loss is common with aging, but can also occur if you lose weight (loss of fat) or if your musculature and malar eminences (cheek bones) are shaped a certain way.  Heading in to see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon for a proper evaluation will enable you to get an idea of what kind of results to expect.

H.L. Greenberg, MD
Las Vegas Dermatologic Surgeon