Botox Masseter Reduction in the Bay Area, CA?

Do any of you know of someone that you would recommend to assess if I would be a good candidate for botox masseter reduction and possible fillers in the cheek bone area? I live in the bay area, CA (in Milpitas, about about 40 minutes from san francisco) Thank you, Janine

Using Botox to reduce the size of the masseter muscles

+3

Hello Janine,

Thanks for the question. Injecting Botox (or Dysport) into the masseters, or bite muscles, is certainly an effective and safe technique to shrink the size of these muscles and narrow the jawline in certain patients. The injections must be performed carefully by practitioners with extensive knowledge of the anatomy in this area.

I also have patients who see me for bruxism, or teeth grinding, for whom I inject Botox into the masseter muscles. This technique can reduce the degree of teeth grinding significantly and, in some patients, help treat inflammation of the temperomandibular joint (TMJ syndrome). I have found that the masseter muscles in these patients shrink in size as well. 

Fillers can also be safely used in the cheeks to fill wrinkles and hollows and restore volume to the cheek. A number of fillers can be used in the cheeks, including Radiesse, Sculptra, Restylane, Juvederm, and Perlane, among others. Each filler has different characteristics, such as duration of effect, ability to be dissolved, appropriate locations in the face, and depth of injection. It is important to have a thorough discussion with your physician about the advantages and disadvantages of each for your specific concerns.

Umang Mehta, MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Masseter Reduction With Botox? Yes it is Great. A Cuter oval face results!

+2

Botox has long been used to reduce the squarness of the jaw in mainly Asian women but also in others.  The idea is that the botox weakens the function of the masseter ( mild temporary 4 month paralysis) and the muscle shrinks.  Generally patients come in every 6 months or as needed fpr treatment.  I have done this for years and find that after 3 or 4 treatments smaller and smaller doses do the job and maintain a rounder and prettier face.  This si a great use of botox and a very simple procedure.  Cost depends on number of units needed.   Range is not high but usially 10 to 15 units total.   Botox costs vary from 10 to 20 dollars a unit the USA.  My Best.

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Botox Masseter Reduction in the Bay Area, CA

+1

Check the physician locators on the ASPS and Botox Cosmetic websites for lists of qualified physicians. Dr. Minh Le and Dr. Eric Okamoto. Consult with 2 - 3 surgeons in your area to find the one that best meets your needs.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Botox, Beverly hills bottom, Beverly hills Dysport, Los Angeles bottom, Los Angeles dysport

+1
I have used Botox to soften lines and wrinkles and decrease localized over sized muscles for over 20 years. Botox or Dysport can be used to reduce the jaw in the area of the Masseter muscle. Typically this would require 40-50 units of Botox into each Masseter repeated 2-3 times at 3-4 month intervals depending on how large the Masseter muscles are.

Botox for masseter muscles

+1

I'm not sure who peforms this in the area but you can check with the offices of Dr. Richard Glogau and Dr. Seth Matarasso in San Francisco.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Finding a good plastic surgeon in your area.

+1

There are many good plastic surgeons in your area.  I would suggest looking at the ASPS website to look for a board certified surgeon in your area.  If you post pictures of yourself, we may be able to give you basic recommendations on whether you are a good candidate for Botox injections to the masseter muscles or fillers for your cheeks.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Best Botox Injector(s) in San Francisco Bay Area

+1

Hi Janine,

Cory Maas, MD and Vic Narurkar, MD are excellent injectors of neuromodulators in the San Francisco Bay area.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Botox for masseter

+1

A good place to start to find a doctor to treat masseter hypertrophy with botox would go to the ASPS or ASAPS websites and lcoate someone in your area.

Botox for masseter reduction

+1

For this relatively uncommon application of Botox, you will want to find someone who has experience using Botox for this indication of masseter reduction.  A head & neck surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, oral maxillofacial surgeon or dermatologist may or may not have experience with Botox for this purpose.  Dr. Mehta who also responded to your question gave a very thoughtful answer to your question.  If he is a reasonable distance from you, consider a consultation with him.  Alternatively, I would suggest a couple of very experienced dermatologist who practice in San Francisco: Dr. Richard Glogau and Dr. Seth Matarasso.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist