Highly Decayed Canine Now With Temporary Crown is Throbbing? (photo)

I recently got a crown on a very decayed and Dentin exposed canine. It had been exposed and in bad shape for well over a year now. Just a few hours ago was the crown in place. Hardly anything of the actual tooth remains beneath. The problem is that is never was painful until after my dentist worked on it. A large amount of the tooth was taken off. Should I be concerned about this throbbing pain and slight bite sensitivity?

Throbbing Tooth....shoudl I be concerned?

+1

You should always be concerned with a throbbing tooth.  The question, is it just a temporary pain issue or does the tooth "finally" need a root canal treatment?

The fact that you say that the tooth was "very decayed" and that hardly anything was left of the actual tooth beneath, leads me to believe you will need a root canal.  I know you mentioned that there was no problem until the dentist worked on it, but the process of finally removing the long standing decay might have been the last straw.

I recommend you return to your dentist and have him test your tooth to see if it has abscessed or you have irreversible pulpitis.  Your dentist may even refer you to an endodontist (root canal specialist) for the testing and/or if a root canal is needed.

It is not uncommon to have reversible discomfort on a tooth, which will subside by itself over a period of a few hours, few days, or even a few weeks. 

Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Pain after dental work

+1

Whenever removing a large amount of decay, there is always the risk of involving the pulp (the nerve).  You don't always have to enter the nerve of the tooth to require a root canal, sometimes just the trauma of removing tooth and decay can cause enough of an issue to cause irreversible pulpitis - meaning the nerve is inflammed and will not get better on it's own.  Please see your dentist as soon as you can to have it evaluated.  If a root canal is needed it is best to take care of it sooner then later. 

Don W. Ririe, DDS
Portland Cosmetic Dentist

Throbbing pain ?

+1

Yes you should be concerned in most cases you will need a root canal ususally 1-4 visit cost $800-1600 and maybe will need to redo the crown. Reason for the pain is the nerve on the tooth is most likely exposed. Good Luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD     CEO Baystate Dental PC.

Kevin Coughlin, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Check with your dentist

+1

It seems from your question that it might need evaluation for root canal as throbbing pain and bite sensitivity are classic symptoms of nerve disease which correlates with your history of large decay.

Adnan Saleem, DMD
Frisco Cosmetic Dentist

Highly decayed Canine with Temporary Crown

+1

Do NOT proceed with the permanent crown until the throbbing issue is resolved. The tooth might have a damaged nerve which would require Root Canal and a post, which would change the shape of the permanent crown.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist