How High is the Risk of my Precious Baby Being Harmed from Dysport Injections?

i had dysport 400 units injected in my underarms for hyperhidrosis. i was told that this was perfectly safe whilst breast feeding. i have now discoverd that it is not safe :( should i stop breast feeding? i just dont no what to do im so scared. please help me?!!!

Dysport - How High is the Risk of my Precious Baby Being Harmed from Dysport Injections?

+1

I am unaware of any studies showing that there are harmful effects on a pregnancy in association with injections of either Botox or Dysport.  Both are highly effective forms of botulinum toxin A (Botox is onabotulinumtoxinA while Dysport is abobotulinumtoxinA). 

However, I generally advise women not to undergo any purely elective procedures such as these during a pregnancy.  We (the medical and scientific community) just don't know enough about all the potential effects of these injectables, and it seems prudent to avoid them if at all possible.

That's not to say that you need to worry...but it would probably be better not to put yourself in that situation unless truly necessary.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Dysport injections while breast feeding

+1

There are no studies showing whether injection of a neurotoxin such as Dysport or Botox is safe while breastfeeding. Common sense dictates to not have this procedure done until after you are finished breastfeeding. However, since botulinum neurotoxin type A can be detected inside the motor nerve endings within 1 to 1 1/2 hours after it is injected, the muscles and nerve endings take up the Botox or Dysport very quickly before they can spread far from the injection site. Therefore the reaction is over before the Dysport or Botox can spread to a distant site or travel through your body to enter the breast milk.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Dysport while nursing

+1

The chances of your baby being harmed by Dysport while nursing are most likey non-existent.  However, in my practice I ask nursing moms to "pump and dump" for 48 hours if they insist on having Dysport or Botox while nursing.  Enjoy your baby!!

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist