High Profile Vs Moderate Plus Profile Would Be Good for 10 Cm Narrow Chest? (photo)

5"1, 102 lbs, slender with 10 cm narrow chest. Dr. recommended 225 cc with moderate plus Gel. I'd like to 250 cc for left breast and 275 cc for right breast with high profile Gel. I want a conservative/natural look but I'm afraid that 225 cc is not enough to give me the volume that I want. However, the high profile may have too much projection and look fake. 250 cc with moderate plus profile maybe too wide for my chest wall?

250 should work!

+3

I personally find the HP implants a bit over-projected but around 250 you may get away with it just fine. It's not very big...But I dont think the moderate profile would be too wide either and it does give a little less "kuh-pow" look....

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Choosing implant profiles/volumes

+2

There are at least three issues here: naturalness, volume asymmetry, and predicting size/look of result.

In my opinion and experience, implants are sized by measuring the width of the center of the breast, upright, and with arms down. If about 3/4 to 1 cm is subtracted from this to determine the diameter of the implant and it is positioned properly (and healed there), then the result will look "natural". There are three forward choices in the usual round, smooth surface gel implants for the given diameter that fits. A moderate plus gel implant (a medium profile) will gain about 1 1/2 cup sizes over what you started with. A high profile implant of the correct width will make you look about two cup sizes larger and tends to overfill the upper pole of the breast which some would feel looks unnatural but others prefer.

The average breast width is about 13 cm so I would question that your width is truly 10 cm but if it is then the size of the implant properly fitted to the width of the breast will have the same effect for the different profiles. This is how clothes fit (although an implant is more like a foot in a shoe). 

Volume asymmetry is difficult to measure and to deal with in pre-filled implants like gels. It is not clear that the difference in your breast volume is 25 cc (borderline noticeable though more so in smaller volume breasts). A saline-filled implant can adjust this volume difference with the same width implant for both sides but a gel implant will have a different width for a different volume unless the difference is a half cup size. Generally you can get away with this in gels if they are only one size different. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

High Profile vs. Moderate profile implants

+2

It is true that one of the keys to a good result is the base diameter of the implant and the desire to keep it hidden under the natural tissue coverage. Exceeding this diameter will create a lateral result or “ armpit boob”

I suggest that it is safe to increase the volume of the implant but to kkep the base diameter narrow you will need the high profile implant. The result will be the fuller cup you desire without the “ arm pit boob”

Jeremy Hunt

Jeremy Hunt, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

High profile implants or Moderate Plus?

+2

With a narrow chest, I would recommend a high profile silicone gel implant.  A moderate plus may come out under your arms too much (too much side boob) because it's diameter is wider.  Going under the muscle will push down the implant a bit so they won't be as projected but you will still have that upper pole fullness that most women hope to achieve. At 250cc/275cc, I think you will be just fine and not appear fake.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast size after augmentation

+2

Most patients want their augmentation to look natural and yet be as large as possible. I have found that sizers help make that decision easier and more accurate. I would guess a high profile implant,300 ccs would be a goal, but if the sizer stretched the skin too much then, try something smaller, finally filling the pocket completly , looking full and natural.Many times the implants used wil be what your plastic surgeon was planning on from your examination.

Terry A. Cromwell, MD (retired)
Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

Slender and petite with breast implants

+2

Dear DNP,

You do appear slender and petite from your photo.  Unfortunately, that is about all we can ascertain from the photo.  Either 250cc or 225cc implants will give you a very nice result.  A frank discussion with your Board Certified plastic surgeon to express your goals will provide some guidance as to what implant will best fit your body.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

High Profile or Moderate plus?

+2

Dear DNP,

Thank you for your question and photo. 

The first thing to verify, however, is if 10 cm is your ideal base width.  Remember, base width should be calcuated not leaving you a big gap.  Your picture is cut off and you are raising your arms up which confuses the issue, but I suspect you have a sizable gap in between your breasts.  If you calculate your base width based on your current breast width, you will have a sizable gap after surgery, and this will be even more obvious given that the breasts are more projecting.  Just because you have a wide sternum does not mean your can't have nice cleavage.  So measure what your ideal breast width should be rather than your current.  This number in cm is minused by you tissue thickness.  Bear in mind that there will not be a lot of thickness in the cleavage area.  A board certified plastic surgeon who is confortable bringing in the cleavage area will be able to give you your ideal breast width size for an implant.  I suspect your width will be significantly greater than 10cm.  Therefore, you will have a greater volume than you though given the ideal breast width size in choosing your implant.  You will probably do very well in moderate plus.  I agree with a slightly bigger implant in the smaller side.

Here is an example of bringing in the cleavage area.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast Enhancement

+1
For narrow chested individuals like you a high profile works well and it does not have to give a very unnatural result if you use a reasonable size

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Sizing

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Profile irrelevant when placed retro-pectoral

+1

Silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral look and feel more natural and have less rippling.  Unfortunately, you have not given us your bra size or cup size.  If you are a 32 or 34 each 100 cc's of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change.  If you are a 36 or 38 each 200 cc's of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change.  From this, you can calculate what implant size you need to achieve your desired goal.  In the retro-pectoral position, the profile is irrelevant since the muscle compresses it.  In yout photograph, I cannot tell the exact position of your breasts.  However, it is possible that you may need a lift.  If that is required, then you may benefit from a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue to increase upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase cleavage.  Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall will give maximum anterior projection with a minimal size implant.  Smaller implants are more stable long term, have less complications and less descent.  You may be a candidate for this new technique.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon