Ended Up With Unnaturally Huge Boobs. What Do I Do?

I am 5'5 and 115 pounds. I have a narrow chest. I lost about 40 pounds in the last 2 years, which resulted in grade 1 ptosis. I asked my surgeon for 375 cc breast implants, already telling him that's the biggest I wanted. He told me he would try to correct the ptosis with the implants and that I didn't really need a lift. I woke up with 425 high profile implants. I am very depressed and terrified that they will look too big and fake. I did not want the high profile fake look. Help!

High Profile Implants - Do They Look Fake?

+2

Immediately after a breast augmentation and usually for about the first month, implants look too full and too high.  If the implants are placed underneath the muscle, this  is usually due to the muscle pushing on the implant, forcing the fluid upward.  If they are placed above the muscle, then they tend to ride high initially and then settle.  I understand your anxiety, but please remember as long as your breasts do not get a capsular contracture, the implants always settle.  

Some facts that should make you feel better are:  (1) using the Allergan Naturelle implants, the difference in projection between a 375 and 425 is only 3 mm, a little thicker than a nickel.  (2) using the Mentor implants, the difference in projection between a 375 and 425 is  only 2mm,a little thicker then a dime. 

I am sure your surgeon used the high profile implants because you have a narrow chest and they have a narrower base.  In my opinion, over time, they have a much more natural breast-like appearance in profile.  The difference in the 375 and the 425 is truly in the base diameter, and as you can see, very little in the projection.  Early swelling overwhelms most patients, so you are right where you belong.  Talk to your plastic surgeon.  I am sure he or she will allay your fears, and don't forget, tincture of time is often the best medicine.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Too Big Implants

+1

Dear Sara,

I am sorry that you are depressed after your surgery.

It seems that you have had your implants recently. So with time, your results may improve as gravity takes effect and recovery progresses.

Nonetheless, without before and after photos and physical examination, it is hard to provide you with an accurate opinion.

I advise you to be a little more patient and let nature takes its course before you make your final judgement. Even if a revision/implant replacement is to be the only solution, you cannot undergo another surgery unless you accomplish a given level of recovery.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your inquiry.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

High profile implants 50 cc more than wanted.

+1

Without an in-office evaluation it is very difficult to suggest whether or not the implants are too big for you.  They are 50 cc more per implant and that is about 1 1/2-2 shot glasses of fluid.  Remember early post-op you will be swollen and the implants will be high.

Implants too big

+1

Hi, it is very difficult to give an accurate assessment online without before and after pictures and it sounds like you just had the surgery, so i strongly recommend that you wait several months before you form an opinion about the shape and size of your breasts because they will change with time. please discuss all your concerns with your surgeon and be patient, 425s on a 5'5 height/ frame is not usually that big and the 50cc difference from 375 is not that big either.....

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Augment sizing

+1
I am sorry to hear about your experience. There should always be a meeting of the minds between patient and surgeon. You should discuss this with your plastic surgeon. If you recently underwent the procedure, give it a little time to settle down but, at the same time, note your concerns.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

“Depressed and Terrified” after Breast Augmentation?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the  stressful experience around the time of your breast augmentation surgery.  Unfortunately, there is not much will  "help” that online consultants can provide you. Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to do so.

Although not clear in your question, it sounds like you may be relatively fresh out of your breast augmentation procedure. If so, I would suggest that you allow time to pass before you evaluate the end results of surgery. In other words, it may be too early to be  “depressed and terrified”.  Keep in mind, that pretty severe  emotional reactions (ups and downs)  are not uncommon after  the procedure you have undergone.

I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon;  communicate your questions and concerns in a calm and nonaccusatory fashion, and allow time before you evaluate the end results of your procedure.