Will My High Profile Under Muscle Silicone Implants Drop?

I had surgery 3 weeks ago. The Dr. placed High profile 550cc silicone implant under the muscle using the axillary approach. My implants are so high up on my chest wall they are touching my clavicle bones. I used to have 300cc saline implants over the muscle.Will my implants ever drop ?

High implants 3 weeks after surgery will drop.

+2

High implants 3 weeks after surgery will drop.  Typically, it takes 3 to 4 months to see final results.  Sometimes it takes longer, up to a year.

When will my breast implants 'drop'

+2

At three weeks you are still going to have some fullness in the upper portion of the breast which many of us refer to as “ the shelf” . For it to soften completely and settle can take up to several months. That being said, placing 550cc silicone implants through a transaxillary approach certainly has the potential for sitting in too high a position, particularly if your pre-operative nipple to inframammary fold distance was 5.0cm or less. In that case it would have been necessary to generously release the medial and inferior border of the pectoralis muscle so that the implant would be able to descend into a more natural position. If not released adequately, particularly with a larger prosthesis, it tends to sit too high on the chest wall. Although, unfortunately the revision rate with the transaxillary approach is higher than inframammary or periareolar, and if necessary, the patient is now left with two incisions. As you wait for final settling, massage and possibly a superior band will be of some benefit and obviously close follow up with your surgeon. 

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Implants and dropping

+2

Will my implants drop?  It does take several weeks and sometimes a few months for the implants to drop down into the pocket.

When will my implants drop?

+2

To answer your question, in general it may take several months for your implants to actually drop...especially if you go with a larger volume.  In addition, the axillary approach is associated with a 10-15% higher likelihood of implant asymmetry in the long run as well as a more delayed settling of implants. 

As such, it is very important to be fastidious with implant massage to encourage the implants to settle.  If you do not see progress, it would be wise to check in with your plastic surgeon.

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Will Implants Drop?

+2

I find that implants placed under the muscle start to drop, on average, 3 to 4 weeks after surgery.  Some take longer, others less time.  The whole process continues for up to a year. 

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Transaxillary approach for breast augmentation

+2

Releasing the lower medial pectoralis is very important in allowing breast implants settle in the right position. In my practice, I see a significant number of patients who have had problems following a transaxillary approach. Invariably, they complain of implants that are too high and to far apart.  Many need secondary procedures through another incision and are then left with 2 incisions. 

Having said that, at this point the best you can do is fol ow your doctor's instructions and possibly ask to wear a Velcro band across the top to help keep pressure on the upper part of the implants.  Three weeks is still early, so hang in there.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks after breast surgery

+2

3 weeks after breast surgery is too early to make any predictions.  I usually tell my patients to give it at least 3 months for implants to settle in.  The transaxillary approach often starts out with implants up high.  Patients are to wear a bandage that helps to push the implants down, and I also ask them to massage the implants to push them downward.  It is not unusual to feel they're high shortly after surgery.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Time for breast implants to drop to normal position

+2

At 3 weeks, the implants may still be high if placed under the muscle. Some swelling may account for this also. Please discuss with your surgeon and ask if a breast band worn around the top of your chest would help the process.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

They will drop

+1
It takes three to four months for implants to settle. At that time your breasts will take on a more natural appearance with the bottom portion more rounded out. Dropping and fluffing, as it's called, can also occur faster in one breast than the other. Tissue expansion will alleviate the tightness you may be feeling as well. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast implants placed through the axilla will be very high at 3 weeks.

+1

Thank you for your question. Especially after transaxillary augmentation mammoplasty the implants tend to be very high the first few weeks. It is too early to be concerned as the implants will likely drop. Of course consult your plastic surgeon for reassurance.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS