High Profile or Moderate Plus?

I am 6 feet tall, 165 lbs, 38A and I measured at 15.I have gone for 2 consults so far. They both suggested between 550 and 600 cc's. Doctor Waslan said to go with the Mentor Ultra High profile because the others would make me look wide, and Dr. Whidden said to go with the Moderate Plus because the others would look to fake. So I am not sure which I should go with. Should I just go with High so its inbetween the 2??

Implant Profile

You did not mention saline or silicone but I will assume you desire silicone implants.  My choice in profile has everything to do with the native breast diameter.  When patients desire more volume, we usually opt for narrower implants with more projection (i.e., high profile implants).  I have never used an Ultra High Profile implant during a cosmetic case.  You have a rather lean build and do not possess a large amount of soft tissue coverage for your implants.  Further, your native breasts are more widely spaced and you have a prominent sternum.  The proposed implant sizes seem to be quite large and potentially problematic over time, given your soft tissue coverage.  Without examining you, I find it hard to believe that much smaller implants in either M+ or HP would not satisfy your goals.  Keep in mind that revision surgery is not cheap and you can always increase your size a bit years from now when your first pair of implants could use replacement.  Hope this helps.                

High Profile or Moderate Plus?

Thank you for the question. Based on your photograph, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.  

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals we have time for a you their stuff's's homewith your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Moderate Plus verus High versus Ultra High Profile Breast Implants

The most important factor when considering size and profile of a breast implant is to first ascertain the patient's chest width. Once the width is determined, an appropriate implant can be chosen that best corresponds to the patient's specific anatomy. In my practice, after a range of implant sizes is selected, the patient can utilize our sizing system to try on implants of various sizes to get a feel for what volume matches their aesthetic ideal.

Moderate profile implants are wider but have less projection, whereas high profile implants are narrower but have more projection.   Women who desire more upper pole fullness and cleavage may benefit from a wider  moderate profile implant. Women who have a narrow chest width but desire larger implants may benefit from a high profile implant. Ultra high profile implants will give a very augmented appearance given the much greater projection. It is important to convey your aesthetic goals to your board certified plastic surgeon so that the appropriate implant can be chosen.

Scott Farber, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Implant choices and location

I usually use high or moderte plus in most patients. In the US we do not have access to the ultra high profile implants.  Remember surgeons are all a bit different in their approach.

What size & shape should I pick?

An ultra-high profile implant (Allergan Style 45) will give you a very full, very round shape.  This is a "love-it" or "hate-it" shape - some women feel that it looks too fake for their taste, even when placed behind the muscle, and 550-600 cc is not at all subtle, even for a tall woman.

Try both contender implants on with a sports bra and T-shirt, and look at your shape & size in the mirror...I bet the answer will be obvious to you.  We use this try-on process at our office, and it's very helpful.