High Profile or Moderate Plus?

I am 6 feet tall, 165 lbs, 38A and I measured at 15.I have gone for 2 consults so far. They both suggested between 550 and 600 cc's. Doctor Waslan said to go with the Mentor Ultra High profile because the others would make me look wide, and Dr. Whidden said to go with the Moderate Plus because the others would look to fake. So I am not sure which I should go with. Should I just go with High so its inbetween the 2??

Implant Profile

+2

You did not mention saline or silicone but I will assume you desire silicone implants.  My choice in profile has everything to do with the native breast diameter.  When patients desire more volume, we usually opt for narrower implants with more projection (i.e., high profile implants).  I have never used an Ultra High Profile implant during a cosmetic case.  You have a rather lean build and do not possess a large amount of soft tissue coverage for your implants.  Further, your native breasts are more widely spaced and you have a prominent sternum.  The proposed implant sizes seem to be quite large and potentially problematic over time, given your soft tissue coverage.  Without examining you, I find it hard to believe that much smaller implants in either M+ or HP would not satisfy your goals.  Keep in mind that revision surgery is not cheap and you can always increase your size a bit years from now when your first pair of implants could use replacement.  Hope this helps.                

Moderate Plus verus High versus Ultra High Profile Breast Implants

+1

The most important factor when considering size and profile of a breast implant is to first ascertain the patient's chest width. Once the width is determined, an appropriate implant can be chosen that best corresponds to the patient's specific anatomy. In my practice, after a range of implant sizes is selected, the patient can utilize our sizing system to try on implants of various sizes to get a feel for what volume matches their aesthetic ideal.

Moderate profile implants are wider but have less projection, whereas high profile implants are narrower but have more projection.   Women who desire more upper pole fullness and cleavage may benefit from a wider  moderate profile implant. Women who have a narrow chest width but desire larger implants may benefit from a high profile implant. Ultra high profile implants will give a very augmented appearance given the much greater projection. It is important to convey your aesthetic goals to your board certified plastic surgeon so that the appropriate implant can be chosen.

Scott Farber, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Implant choices and location

+1

I usually use high or moderte plus in most patients. In the US we do not have access to the ultra high profile implants.  Remember surgeons are all a bit different in their approach.

What size & shape should I pick?

+1

An ultra-high profile implant (Allergan Style 45) will give you a very full, very round shape.  This is a "love-it" or "hate-it" shape - some women feel that it looks too fake for their taste, even when placed behind the muscle, and 550-600 cc is not at all subtle, even for a tall woman.

Try both contender implants on with a sports bra and T-shirt, and look at your shape & size in the mirror...I bet the answer will be obvious to you.  We use this try-on process at our office, and it's very helpful.

Thomas Fiala, MD