High Profile or Mod Plus?

I am planning on having a breast augmentation done in the next couple of months and i've done alot of research. One thing I'm still confused about is projection. One of the reasons I want to have this surgery is to even my body out, my hips are large in comparison to my upper body. My measurments are 28, 25, 36. I love the look of high profiles but I'm wondering if moderate pluses would be better to make me appear mpre hourglass shaped then pear. Thank you so much.

Breast Implants - What Profile?

Hi Asked 4 days ago by Canada24453 in Manitoba,

Excellent and timely question - but there are no "right" answers.

The more important decisions, of course, are (1) silicone versus saline and (2) what size.  Once you've addressed those issues you can start figuring out exactly which implant you think you want.  In GENERAL, a high profile implant is a little "pointier" than a moderate plus (or medium profile) implant, and you'll have a bigger space between your breasts (again, in comparison).  You will also have a little more of a shelf at the top.

For that reason I generally prefer the moderate plus style; it's not as flat as the moderate (low) profile, but not as narrow and pointy as the high profile. 

Still no right answers..but always good to ask!

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Your job is to convey as clearly as possible the look you want, and your plastic surgeon's job is to make that happen to the best of their ability including the choice of implants. It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Moderate Plus verus High Profile implants

The most important factor when considering size and profile of a breast implant is to first ascertain the patient's chest width. Once the width is determined, an appropriate implant can be chosen that best corresponds to the patient's specific anatomy. In my practice, after a range of implant sizes is selected, the patient can utilize our sizing system to try on implants of various sizes to get a feel for what volume matches their aesthetic ideal.

Moderate profile implants are wider but have less projection, whereas high profile implants are narrower but have more projection.   Women who desire more upper pole fullness and cleavage may benefit from a wider  moderate profile implant. Women who have a narrow chest width but desire larger implants may benefit from a high profile implant. It is important to convey your aesthetic goals to your board certified plastic surgeon so that the appropriate implant can be chosen.

Scott Farber, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant profile

The most important part of determining which size and shape of breasts implants are best for your body it to actually try on the implants.  There are many variables that go along with choosing an implant that will look proportional to your body and the measurements of the breast can guide you in the right direction.  As I am sure you know, high profile implants project more but have a more narrow base, while moderate profile implants have less projection and a  wider diameter.  Each one is acceptable in many different body types so trying them on is extremely important. I hope this helps you.

Kindest regards

Neil J. Zemmel

Implant profile questions

I think that the important determination is what implant size you desire, based on trying on implant sizers in a bra.  I do not suggest that my patients concentrate too much on implant profile. Implant profile is oftentimes then dictated by the dimensions of a patient's breast width and chest wall width.  A narrow chested woman who chooses (and whose tissues can handle) a relatively larger implant may only be able to fit a high profile implant, as a moderate plus or moderate implant may be too wide and extend to far to the sides, etc.  A normal or wide chested woman who chooses a small implant may need a wider (moderate profile) implant so that it is not too narrow for her breast.  There are some patients who are borderline between profiles.  In other words, they could have a good result with either a moderate plus or a high profile implant.  If they would prefer a more projecting breast rather than a more "natural" looking breast, then they may prefer a high profile implant.  These preferences can be communicated to your surgeon, and you can find a few photos of breasts that you like...not that they can be matched, but they may communicate what breast shape you find attractive. 

Hi profile versus moderate plus profile breast implants

Picking the "right" implant is the most important aspect of breast augmentation.  Too big or too small and the patient will not be as pleased with the result as they might be.  Once you have been able to determine the volume of implant that you think will be right for you, the decision as to which profile implant you should have is largely already determined.  We try to fit the diameter of the implant as closely as possible with the base width of your breast for the best fit.  This will help to maintain a proportionate result that looks more natural.  I tell my patients that the profile choice is essentially mine to make, not theirs, but I do explain the reason why and help them understand the rationale.  I do find that for the majority of women, high profile implants look too round and over projected.  I understand that this may be the look that some women prefer so I would take this into account during the planning.  Show photos to your surgeon of what your ideal result would be.  That would help to get you as close to your ideal as possible.

Jeffrey E. Kyllo, MD

Implant style

The main difference between moderate plus and high profile implants is that for any given number of cc's of volume (like, say, 350cc), a moderate plus implant will be a little wider and a little flatter. They also make moderate profile implants which are quite flat compared to their projection, and I rarely use them, except in reconstruction when I use a high profile implant on the reconstructed side and sometimes just add a small, moderate implant on the other side to achieve symmetry.

The main issue is that the width of your breast shape and chest wall (from the boundary of your breastbone to the outer curve of the breast) must accommodate the width of the implant when it is inflated (if saline) or the measured base width of the implant as it comes from the manufacturer (in the case of gel). You probably will not perceive a cup size differential based on the choice between mod+ and HP. The surgeon you select should evaluate what will give you the projected look you desire based on your measurements, his/her judgment, and your goals.

Tim A. Sayed, MD, FACS
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

How to pick the right implant size and shape?

There are many factor that help to chose the best implant size and shape for your body and breast. Your plastic surgeon can help you after examination and considering your desire. 3D imaging is another tool that can help you visualize your breast with different sizr and shape implants. At the end the final result is combination of your surgeons skill, your breast and implant. High profile implants work better in patients with small breast base.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants, moderate profile or high profile

High profile breast implants are rather popular right now based on interest we receive. Some do like the look, though they are not for everybody. The higher profiles are rounded and yes, projecting, and stay that way no matter what position you are in. A lower profile implant will have more flow with the breast and the wider base diameter produces less of a visible edge within the breast. Think of an implant cc for cc able to 'spread out' more. The most important decision for you is to know how you wish to look, and photos help the most.

How to pick breast implants.

How to pick breast implant shape and size.

1)  This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2)  It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3)  Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4)  Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy.  The most common mistake is to go too big.

5)  I recommend that  the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6)  The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7)  Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8)  Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating room inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)