High Profile Implants or Moderate? Please Help Me Decide!

I am getting a Breast Aug~ with silicone implants 500cc possibly 550cc and I really want a nice perky young starlet looking breast~I not looking for that nice natural look~ I need to decide if I should go with the Moderate profile or the High Profile~ Can you please look at my pictures and tell your professional thoughts: Thank you for your time and consideration~

Are high profile or moderate profile implants best for you?

The choice between High profile implants, moderate plus implants, or moderate profile implants is harder than just one variable in the decision.  One thing to consider is how wide your breast is, and how wide your chest is.  You dont want to put in an implant that goes half way around your back, or one that leaves a big space in the middle of your chest.  High profile implant generally give way more upper pole fullness (but dont look as natural).  Moderate plus implants look a bit more like a push up bra in general with some upper pole fullness (this is sometimes refered to incorrectly as "cleavage").  Ironically the "moderate profile implant" is the lowest profile implant that we have available today.  This moderate profile implant doesnt generally give a large amount of upper pole fullness, but gives more fill between the breasts (more traditional "cleavage"). 

Although I could not find your photos, your description was clear that you did not want to look natural!  That being said, I think you would be happiest with the high profile implans.  Especially in that larger size of 500 to 550.  Good luck with your surgery.  Make sure that you are going to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that is a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, as they do the majority of their work in Cosmetic Surgery.

Breast Augmentation- Breast Implants Profile

• It sounds like you have a really clear idea of the results you want. The best implant size can only be selected after your physical exam by an experienced,  expert plastic surgeon. 
  • When I chose implants, especially for those who want a larger size, I consider the width of the chest , the amount of breast tissue and the looseness of the skin. In the right patient, high profile implants  can look great.
  • If your base width is in the 13cm range, you have some breast tissue coverage, and some skin looseness, then you may fit a high profile nicely.  If your width is more like 14 cm and you have less breast tissue coverage, then a moderate profile might work better.
  • Talk to your surgeon. And good luck!

Michael Suzman, MD

Sounds like you want HP implants

From the description of what you want it sounds like HP is the best choice for you.  Of course, this can only be determined by an exam of your actual starting point though.

High Profile Implants versus Moderate Plus

The best fit of implants for breast augmentation is to select an implant that's base diameter matches the diameter of your breast. The high profile implant will be larger and more projected than the moderate plus of the same diameter. If you are looking for more superior projection, you will probably be happier with high profile implants. If you want a more natural appearance, you will probably be higher with moderate plus profile implants.

If you choose an implant that is wider than your breast diameter, it will extend over the side of your chest. If you choose an implant that is narrower than your chest diameter, you may see some depression near your breast bone.

Karen Vaniver, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

High profile breast implants for shapely breasts

High profile breast implants give a better shape for most people in the size range you are considering.  In the 500cc size ranges, moderate profile implants look too broad and flat to me.  On the other hand, in the smaller sizes, less than about 375cc, I find the high profile implants too spherical.  Especially for the "perky" look you are desiring, high profile implants are best.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Perky and Beautiful

Since the advent of the high profile implant, I have rarely put anything other in a woman desiring breast augmentation.  I think that the high profile implants impart the best shape to the breast.  I have never had a patient wish to exchange out a high profile implant for a moderate high or round implant.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

It is very difficult to determine the exact size, profile and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below. 

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

High or moderate

First, it depends on your body frame. Sometimes, if you have a small body to begin with, high profile might be better suited to you than moderate. However, generally speaking, high profile will give you more projection, which could contribute to a perkier looking breast.

Profile of implants

The decision to choose a high profile or moderate plus profile or moderate profile, really depens upon your anatomy and your surgical goals. The narrower the patient and the larger they want, the more likely a higher profile implant in my practice.

High versus moderate profile implants

There is a significant difference in implant configuration between the moderate and high profile implants in the size range that you mentioned with the moderate ones being noticeably wider and less projecting. If you want more projecting, and less broad breasts, then the high profile implants can provide that but it may not be appropriate for you. Furthermore, these 2 styles are not interchangable at a given size.  That is, typically the moderate profile implant will be of a smaller size compared to the "considered" high profile one.

Without providing pictures, your dimensions, amount of breast tissue present including cup size and, of course, without an examination, it would be pure conjecture as to which implant size and style would be right for you. You may want to re-review this again with your surgeon.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD