High Profile Breast Implant Advice

I had my mind made up after doing years of research that I like Mod Plus saline implants for me. I thought the Mods were too wide and the HP are too narrow. I have narrow, widely spaced breasts, and I thought the Mod+ would bring some width to my breasts. However, my PS says my breasts are only 10.5 in diameter, so to acheive the full C I want, I'll have to go with HP. I am 5'4 and 115 lbs.

What are the risks for going outside of natural breast diameter? Should I go with my feeling or take doc's advice? Thanks!

How to pick breast implant sizes.

+1

Answer by George J. Beraka, MD
1) This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2) It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3) Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4) Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy. The most common mistake is to go too big.

5) I recommend that the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6) The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7) Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8) Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating roon inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

Web reference: http://www.drberaka.com/proc_performed/breast_aug_surgery.html

Breast Implant choices

+1

Narrow chested patients are usually better off with HP implants. If you want some more "side boob" a Mod + implant of a similar volume will usually do the trick. It is OK to go above the BWD a bit.

Explain your expectations to the plastic surgeon

+1

Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to understand the exact dynamics of your breasts. Using and matching your breast implant to your base diameter assists in implant selection. The high profile implant will allow more implant volume and more projection then the moderate plus. If you are thin and have not much breast tissue then a large implant size may not be in your best interest. Explain to your plastic surgeon your expectations for shape, size, fullness and projection. He will be in the best position to select the implant that matches your desires.

It is good that they are measuring you

+1

I am glad your doctor measured you because this is the best way to be sure the implant diameter and the patient diameter match well. 10.5 cm is quiet narrow so I am not totally sure they are measuring you properly. It might be worth seeing another doctor and having another exam. If it is true that you are 10.5, a high profile may be the only way to get the look you want. You can't go wider than your body will allow.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Measurements are important

+1

The high profile implant is important if you want to go with more volume than your chest diameter can sustain with a typical moderate profile implant. Everyone's chest diameter is different and measurements are key in determinig which implant profile works best for you given the volume you want. Your skin tone is also important as well as tissue coverage over the implants. Discuss all these factors before making a final decision. Implant profile is only one of many factors in choosing an implant.

High Profile implants good for some

+1

High profile breast implants fill a need for patients who want a larger implant than their chest wall will generally allow. As the size of the implant increases so does the base width and height of the implant.

For some patients, this can result in an abnormal degree of lateral fullness. In other words, too much breast will be sticking out under your arms. High profile implants help to transfer the extra volume to projection rather than extra width so the base of the implants are not quite so wide.

It sounds as though your doctor has made an appropriate recommendation. If your still unsure, I would encourage you to discuss it further with your doctor before making a final decision.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon