High Profile Breast Implant Advice

I had my mind made up after doing years of research that I like Mod Plus saline implants for me. I thought the Mods were too wide and the HP are too narrow. I have narrow, widely spaced breasts, and I thought the Mod+ would bring some width to my breasts. However, my PS says my breasts are only 10.5 in diameter, so to acheive the full C I want, I'll have to go with HP. I am 5'4 and 115 lbs.

What are the risks for going outside of natural breast diameter? Should I go with my feeling or take doc's advice? Thanks!

#PickThePlasticSurgeon - Not the implant

"Should I go with my feeling or take doc's advice?" - Yikes, often a recipe for a bad result ! Years of training and decades of plastic surgery vs gut feeling?  a scary concept.  You need to pick the best plastic surgeon and NOT what you feel is the best implant for you !
It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link as well as how to locate the best plastic surgeon. 

How to pick breast implant sizes.

Answer by George J. Beraka, MD
1) This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2) It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3) Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4) Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy. The most common mistake is to go too big.

5) I recommend that the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6) The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7) Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8) Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating roon inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

Web reference: http://www.drberaka.com/proc_performed/breast_aug_surgery.html

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast Implant choices

Narrow chested patients are usually better off with HP implants. If you want some more "side boob" a Mod + implant of a similar volume will usually do the trick. It is OK to go above the BWD a bit.

Explain your expectations to the plastic surgeon

Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to understand the exact dynamics of your breasts. Using and matching your breast implant to your base diameter assists in implant selection. The high profile implant will allow more implant volume and more projection then the moderate plus. If you are thin and have not much breast tissue then a large implant size may not be in your best interest. Explain to your plastic surgeon your expectations for shape, size, fullness and projection. He will be in the best position to select the implant that matches your desires.

It is good that they are measuring you

I am glad your doctor measured you because this is the best way to be sure the implant diameter and the patient diameter match well. 10.5 cm is quiet narrow so I am not totally sure they are measuring you properly. It might be worth seeing another doctor and having another exam. If it is true that you are 10.5, a high profile may be the only way to get the look you want. You can't go wider than your body will allow.

Measurements are important

The high profile implant is important if you want to go with more volume than your chest diameter can sustain with a typical moderate profile implant. Everyone's chest diameter is different and measurements are key in determinig which implant profile works best for you given the volume you want. Your skin tone is also important as well as tissue coverage over the implants. Discuss all these factors before making a final decision. Implant profile is only one of many factors in choosing an implant.

High Profile implants good for some

High profile breast implants fill a need for patients who want a larger implant than their chest wall will generally allow. As the size of the implant increases so does the base width and height of the implant.

For some patients, this can result in an abnormal degree of lateral fullness. In other words, too much breast will be sticking out under your arms. High profile implants help to transfer the extra volume to projection rather than extra width so the base of the implants are not quite so wide.

It sounds as though your doctor has made an appropriate recommendation. If your still unsure, I would encourage you to discuss it further with your doctor before making a final decision.

Mitchel Krieger, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon