High Prescription and Astigmatism?

I have high prescription with high astigmatism. Based on the minus cylinder prescription, I am -10.5 with -4 astigmatism and -9.25 with 2.75 astigmatism. I'd like to get LASIK done but have dry eyes as well. Can the new visx 4 laser correct most of my prescription and what is the biggest risk I have with such a high prescription. Dr. keeps suggesting the icl but am unsure of getting that procedure done. Will I run a higher risk of glares and halos as well? Cornea thickness is 559/545.

High Astigmatism with High Myopia

+1

Excimer laser systems for LASIK generally put prescriptions into plus cylinder.  Your prescription would therefore be equivalent to:

-14.50 (sphere) + 4.00 (cyl)

-12.00(sphere) + 2.75 (cyl)

This is a very high prescription and would very likely result in serious dry eyes and glare. 

ICL's would certainly give better vision.  You would need to find a provider who could offer an ICL that corrected for astigmatism or have LASIK (or PRK) on top of an ICL to correct for the astigmatism.

We are hoping the FDA approves some new ICL's in the near future which offer better corrections for patients.

San Francisco Ophthalmologist