Will a Vertical Incision Work For Tummy Tuck and Medial Thigh Lift

Is it possible to undergo a high lateral tension tummy tuck and a medial thigh lift with only a vertical incision at the same time. A surgeon advised me that both could be performed together as there would not be an incision in the groin that would oppose the pulling of the tummy tuck suturing. Will a horizontal lift with no vertical lift (i.e groin incision) address my loose thigh problem?

Receiving a vertical tummy tuck and medial thigh lift at the same time

+2

A high lateral tension tummy tuck is an excellent procedure to contour the abdomen and create a very pleasing figure. We commonly performed the surgery in conjunction with other body contouring procedures. Depending on your tissues and your overall medical status, it may be possible to perform this surgery with a medial thigh lift at the same setting. Keep in mind that this can be a challenging combination and so that is incredibly important that you only work with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is very experienced in both of these procedures. Such a surgeon will be able to assess your tissue and determine if you are a candidate for these two procedures. Be sure that you have an in-depth conversation with your surgeon about your expectations, if it is possible to reach your expectations, the scarring involved, and the significant recovery process after surgery.

Vertical Incision thigh lift

+2

I am interpreting your question as a combination of an abdominoplasty with a transverse lower abdominal incision and a thigh tightening with only a vertical incision along the inside of your thigh to the knee without an extension into the groin.  I have not performed this combination and have not been pleased with performing a full medial thigh lift and abdominoplasty at the same time due to excessive tension in the groin and a tough recovery.  I think that staging things is likely to give your best result with both areas.

Terrence Murphy, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Combination Thigh Lift and Tummy Tuck considerations

+1

Tummy Tuck and Medial Thigh lift - Which approach is best for Thigh lift?
Different Plastic Surgeons with great experience and results often argue the answer to your question. The most important choice is finding the best surgeon (see link).                          My own preference is to do a tummy tuck and medial thigh lift at the same time. It is true that there may be some labial widening caused by the scar drifting downward, but this is easier to hide than a vertical scar often extending below most shorts. My choice as to whether a vertical scar is needed is on the basis of my exam and where the most excess skin is located. For example if a roll  of skin high up  on the inside of the thigh then a groin scar incision is  preferred, where as if there is circumferential excess from the knee to the groin then a vertical incision is best in my hands

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Combining a tummy tuck with a thigh lift

+1

Performing both procedures at the same time may be okay, but it's hard to say without actually examining you.  If you're in doubt, seek a second opinion in person or split the two procedures into two operations.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck with thigh lift

+1

A tummy tuck (or body lift) can be done with a vertical thigh lift (even if an extension into the groin crease is needed).

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck at the same time as Thigh Lift

+1

I routinely perform Tummy Tuck procedures on the same day as Thigh Lifts. I don't see a problem with doing both together. The transverse incisions in my thigh lifts do not go far enough lateral to interfere in a significant way with a tummy tuck incision. I can't comment on the results with a vertical incision only thigh lift, I've not seen or done one that way. The high lateral tension Tummy Tuck should eliminate the need for a long transverse scar with your Thigh Lift.

Mark Preston, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Vertical Scar Tummy Tuck

+1
The vast majority of tummy tuck surgeries can be done with a transverse scar only without having to leave the patient a permanent mid-belly vertical scar. Such a procedure, the Fleur de Lis Tummy Tuck is used in cases of massive weight loss leaving people with massive amounts of excess, damaged skin. A High Lateral Tension (Lockwood) Abdominoplasty is a certain type of extended tummy tuck in which the lateral thighs are lifted as part of the tummy tuck. This form on tummy tuck can in some cases avoid needing a formal thigh lift. Dr. Peter Aldea

If a vertical abdominal scar can tighten thigh skin, it's news to me!

+1

Typically we reserve the vertical abdominal scar for patients who have lost significant weight and have severe skin excess of their abdomen in the horizontal direction. This vertical scar will pull the skin of your abdomen and waistline to the midline of your abdomen and remove it. In my experience, it will not provide any significant of noticeable lifting of the thigh skin. It is the Horizontal scar along the groin crease and extending around your waistline that tightens your droopy abdominal skin as well as droopy thigh and buttocks skin.   If a vertical abdominal scar can tighten thigh skin, it's news to me!   

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Incisions and tummy tuck and thigh lift

+1

Withotu seeing photos or performing an exam it is difficult to say, but I do not perform tummy tuck's usually with a vertical incision. They rare transverse and then if the patient has massive weight loss I sometimes combine a vertical incision.

High Lateral tension abdominoplasty and thigh lift

+1

High lateral tension abdominoplasty technique will lift the medial thigh and groin and superior anterior thigh to a very slight degree.