Can a High Lateral Tension Abdominoplasty Be Performed if I Have No Excess Skin?

I had full tummy tuck with muscle tightening all the way up, but still have a considerable bulge in the lower abdomen. Only one vertical row of plication was used. I'm hoping to have a mini tummy tuck in the future to get further improvement. There's no skin or fat to be removed.

Persistent bulge after full tummy tuck

+1

IF you have no extra skin and a persistent bulge, it is either a lax abdominal muscle wall or prominent intra-abdominal contents. See your internist and make sure there are no intra-abdominal problems causing this.

Revision abdominoplasty works.

+1

Hi.

1) Of course you need to be examined, but most likely you still have lower abdominal muscle laxity. This can be corrected with a "mini tummy tuck" approach, raising the skin up to your belly button.

2) High lateral tension abdominoplasty is not relevant to your problem. It helps to define the waist, and cannot be done if there is no residual excess skin.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Re-do tummy tuck

+1

It is unfortunate to need to re-do a tummy tuck but it can be done.  Make sure your weight is the same or LESS than when your first was done and only go to a very experienced surgeon.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Abdominal muscle tightening after an abdominoplasty

+1

Even though you have had a full abdominoplasty in the past, you still complain of bulging of your lower abdomen. It is possible to use your existing scar to "tighten" the lower portion of the abdomen. A small amount of skin can be removed if needed. This revision is relatively straight forward when done by a skilled board certified plastic surgeon.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Dealing with a lower Tummy Bulge AFTER A FULL Tummy Tuck

+1

Regarding: "Can a High Lateral Tension Abdominoplasty Be Performed if I Have No Excess Skin?
I had full tummy tuck with muscle tightening all the way up, but still have a considerable bulge in the lower abdomen. Only one vertical row of plication was used. I'm hoping to have a mini tummy tuck in the future to get further improvement. There's no skin or fat to be removed
."

You should NOT have a "considerable" lower abdominal bulge if your abdominal wall separation WAS corrected and REMAINED corrected. In other words, either the area was not fully corrected at the time of surgery OR it subsequently fell apart.

Since your objective SEEMS to be correction of the bulge, you do not really need a High Lateral Tension Abdominoplasty conversion. All you need is a re-operation through the same scar you have with correction of the abdominal musculature (which MAY require more advanced repair techniques and even use of a mesh IF your repair fell apart due to tissue weakness). However, if you wish more upward pulling on your thighs and are willing to accept a longer scar, the operation may be done.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Secondary TT

+1

You can have a lower abdominal plasty for mid line and lateral muscle plication. Seek experts who have done this operation. From MIAMI DR. Darryl j. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Lower abdominal bulge

+1

A lower abdominal bulge without excess skin means that you still have some abdominal laxity.

Either your previous muscle tightening fell apart or it was not tightened completely.  It should be possible to access the area through your existing scar and correct it.  Depending on how big your bulge is, you may or may not be then left with excess skin... thus you may or may not need additional skin removal.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD