Can I Get a High Lateral Tension Abdominoplasty if I Have a Lap Band?

Lap Band and Tummy Tuck - Ideal together!

+3

I have had the opportunity to perform a High lateral Tension abdomenoplasty on a patient with a lap band. The key to the surgery is to identify the lap band port and tubing, then protect it during the surgery. In each case the surgery went well and the patients were pleased.

As I have written in many previous responses, nothing yields a better feminine shape than the High Lateral tension Abdomenoplasty.

+2

ABSOLUTELY! We do it all the time.

During surgery the Lap band port is moved, allowing for the stretched out and separated tummy muscles to be brought together. The port is then fixated again to its desired position in the Left Upper Quadrant of the tummy wall. 

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Abdominoplasty and Lap Band

+2

It is very common to have a tummy tuck after having a lap band and massive weight loss to remove the excess skin after deflation.   Your surgeon will likely want you to wait until you have plateaued on you weight loss and will make sure that you are nutritionally ready to have surgery and heal properly.  This usually occurs about a year after you've had the lap band.    You should also discuss with your plastic what the best procedure would be to achieve the best cosmetic result.  Some women will benefit from a high lateral tension abdominoplasty while others may need a more extensive procedure that extends around the back to achieve a circumferential improvement on the torso.  This will depend on how much excess skin you have and whether its all in the front or you have some on the sides and over the back and buttocks as well.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Lap Band Doesn't Preclude Abdominoplasty

+2

Having had a lap band procedure does not interfere with a later abdominoplasty (including a high lateral tension type).  Many people who have had lap bands, in fact, will benefit from a body lift which I my hands includes a high lateral tension abdominoplasty.  You will obtain a better result with any of these procedures if have reached a  BMI of <30 or at least plateaued with your weight loss.

John Whitt, MD

Abdominoplasty

+2

Yes you can.  The high lateral tension technique or any abdominoplasty is possible with a lap band.  You will need to tell your surgeon that you have a band and let him evaluate you for the best surgery for you.

William Alan Dulin, MD

High Lateral Tension Abdominoplasty

+1

It is possible to perform a high lateral tension abdominoplasty after a lap band procedure for weight loss. It is best to wait until approximately one year after the lap band surgery, or longer if your weight has not decreased and remained steady. The high lateral tension technique often yields very pleasing cosmetic results, and may be combined with other procedures such as thigh lift or circumferential body lift.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

High lateral tension abdominoplasty defines the waist.

+1

Hi.

Our experience with this combination is very positive.  This is the tummy tuck technique of choice for many women, anyway, ans a previous lap band is really not a factor.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)