What to Do with High Implant 3 Months After Breast Reconstruction?

I had my breast reconstruction after mastectomy some 3-4 months ago and the implant is still riding too high. My surgeon had suggested that I do breast massages and use a band but with no avail. Do I need a revision surgery for this? How soon? or do I have to wait more time and continue with the massages and band? Thank you.

Hello! Thank you for your question! You are still early post-procedure. Your appearance looks typical at this stage and will continue to improve as the swelling subsides and the implants continue to settle into their desired position. This usually proceeds over the next several weeks as the lower pole skin/breast stretches to accommodate the implants. Follow-up closely with your surgeon for additional restrictions/instructions and the potential use of bras/garments or massage that may encourage the implant to settle appropriately. If still displaced after this time, a surgical procedure may be necessary to further open the pocket and bring the implant(s) down. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Revision Surgery Likely for High Riding Implant when conservative Measures fail.

An exam would be very important to guide you to the best treatment. For example is your implant soft or hard (i.e. do you have a capsular contracture). If so certain medications such  as off FDA label usage of Singulair may be helpful, or placing your implant in a different pocket, using a textured implant, and other options may be useful. In my experience, lowering the implant (capsulotomy) is required in most cases as Revision Surgery Likely for High Riding Implant when conservative Measures fail.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS