Does High Impact Exercise, Like Jogging, Harm Collagen and Age You?

I have read that some cosmetic surgeons, dermatologists and even sports professionals state that the motion created during high impact exercise harms collagen and causes sagging skin (on face and body). They are not referring to damage from UV rays, rather the actual jarring motion of the exercise. Is this true?? Do I need to give up my jogging habit in lieu of walking?

High Impact Exercise and Aging

+3

Hi,

Keep on running!  Women who exercise alot lose weight and we all know that the first place we see weight loss (unfortunately) is in the face.  Marathon runners and triathletes "over do it" and the effects on their faces is exaggerated.  It is the loss of facial volume that causes the face to look aged.  The other aging effect is from sun damage.  Keep yourself well hydrated, protect your skin with a physical sun block that has Zinc and titanium oxide, and wear a hat.  The benefits of moderate exercise far outweigh the risk of premature facial aging. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Jogging and looser tissues

+2

There is no hard evidence to back up these claims. Jarring motions may not necessarily loosen the collagen. You may not be more inclined to need a facelift because you are a jogger. The value benefit in what the exercise does for your cardiovascular system and your emotional well being is not worth the discontinuation for a theoretical claim.