High Fees for Consultation (Revision Rhinoplasty)?

I called 6 NYC area surgeons specializing in Revision Rhinoplasty. All have consultation fees ranging from $100 - $350. The grand total for all: $1350! I'm doing more research. Hope to narrow the field to 3-4 surgeons. Lowering the cost to $850. I still find this high. Part of my revision requires a septoplasty (not done during first surgery). All the surgeons are "out-of-network providers". So it doesn't seem to matter that at least part of the surgery would be covered. Still a cash business...

Call my office

+2

You obviously did not call my office, I do not charge a consultaion fee for cosmetic surgery. I will be glad to see you and discuss what you need. I am doubly board certified in both ENT and Plastic Surgery and I am considered to be an expert in rhinoplastic surgery.

High Fees for Revision Rhinoplasty Consultations

+1

james,

The costs for a consultation vary based on many factors including, but not limited to expertise of the surgeon, geographic area, and general business philosophy regarding consultations.

It is possible that some may be able to split out the insurance portion of the case, but some physicians may no longer take insurance at all.

I would say that you should be able to narrow it down to fewer than 6 if you do your research beforehand. However, should you end up seeing all 6, the cost ($850) may be worth the piece of mind you get by knowing that you picked the surgeon that is the right "fit" for you. In addition, the consultation fee is usually applicable to the surgery cost.

Good luck,

Michael Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

You may be able to find a surgeon who is "in network".  If this is the case, the evaluation for the functional nasal concerns may be covered.  Also check to see if the consultation fee is applied to the surgical cost. 

David Bray, Jr, MD

Paying for Rhinoplasty consultations

+1

I have perofrmed Rhinoplasty and Revision Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and IMHO...you get what you pay for. The top revision Rhinoplasty surgeons, in beverly Hills, New York and elsewhere do charge for their consultations.  You should also understand that your revision Rhinoplasty will be more complicated, than a primary Rhinoplasty and as such is going to cost more. 

High cost of consultations

+1

Fees for consultation vary widely from region to region within the united states.  I practice in North Carolina.  In this area, very few if any surgeons charge any fees for consultations.  Any who do usually apply the fee towards any surgery performed.  I would recommend evaluating rhinoplasty surgeons on-line.  Make sure you focus on experienced rhinoplasty surgeons who perform at least 100 rhinoplasty procedures per year.  That will usually ensure you are discussing your situation with someone who can adequately address your issues.  Good luck.

Adam D. Stein, MD
Raleigh-Durham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Consultation Fees for Reevision Rhinoplasty Consultation

+1

Hopefully you do not need to consult with 6 revision rhinoplasty surgeons. You can do your homework online beore selecting fewer surgeons with excellent reputations whose results you like. Most physicians will apply the consult fee to the cost of surgery.

Rhinoplasty consultation

+1

I think  you are making the right decision to visit a few different doctors for rhinoplasty consultation. I think charging a consult fee is reasonable considering the time involved to perform a quality consultation. I spend alot of time with patients to examine them and to find out from them what bothers them.  In my case, the fee is applied to the surgical costs.

Consult fees

+1

Consult fees typically range from free to $500 with most surgeons being in the $100-200 range - in most cases the fee is applied toward the cost of surgery. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Revision rhinoplasty consultation costs vary

+1
Consultations for revision rhinoplasty can vary significantly in time, content, and cost. If consultation costs are a hindrance, consider going outside of New York. Our office fees are very reasonable an you would receive a large amount of information over a generous amount of time. In our office, consultation times usually average 2 hours in order to cover the many considerations and variables of revision rhinoplasty as well as to perform simulations and to view before/after photos of many patients with your particular issues. If you have health insurance and have significant septal deviation issues, the cost of your surgery can be signicantly reduced. Good luck!

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Your health insurance may cover the functional part of your nasal surgery.

+1

I read your concern. Your choice of Rhinoplasty Surgeons is your most important decision. You should, however, be able to narrow your consultations to 3 or 4 physicians just by doing on-line research. You should check credentials, photos, and reviews. If these look good, then schedule your consultations to see which specialist would be right for you.

This is an important decision since this operation should the last you will need for your nose: so cost should be a secondary issue. I also feel that revision rhinoplasty fees in excess of ten thousand dollars, in most cases, is excessive and unnecessary.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon